GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The Engineering and Quality Manager is responsible for the site functional excellence within all engineering disciplines and the site Quality Management System (QMS). This role consists of building a multi-disciplined, process control focused, Manufacturing/Design/Quality Engineering team tasked to deliver all engineering aspects, with a focus on the deployment of GKN Aerospace global manufacturing engineering tool suite and Design for Manufacturing (DFM) best practices. The deployment of engineering / QA resources to Program teams during the development and production Lifecycle phases including the oversight and assurance to compliance requirements. It includes managing the product and site qualifications for internal, customer and third party certifications including approvals. The position also has responsibility for planning and conducting internal audits that will monitor the effectiveness of the quality management system. The role owns the delegation for product acceptance authority and other customer driven requirements.
- Responsible for continuous improvement of quality systems and engineering functional disciplines (DE, ME, QE, etc.) to meet safety, quality, on time delivery and costs requirements per GKN policies and customer expectations.
- Lead engineering teams to deliver measureable results driven by a metric suite in line with the defined Value Streams supporting Program goals directly aligned with customer needs.
- Manages the planning and execution of last article / first article activity for all parts being transitioned from sending sites to the Panama City, Florida site (during product transfers).
- Deliver world class engineering solutions to complex problems through root cause corrective action (RCCA) processes.
- Develop and deliver manufacturing engineering training strategy for the business.
- Continuously improve production processes by developing and encouragement of a LEAN based culture and focus.
- Site expert on various customer and industry quality system models such as ISO9000, AS9100 and D1-9000. Recent experience with AS9100 Rev D highly desired.
- Leads site/facility stand-up processes for required internal, customer and regulatory certifications (AS9100, NADCAP, etc.).
- Ensures that export compliance, data protection and other relevant regulations and legislation for the site are followed and strictly adhered to.
- Ensures GKN Safety policies, procedures and best practices are adhered to by the engineering and quality team at all times.
- Accountable for product development, product industrialization into production, new product quotes, tool fabrication quotes, first article development, configuration changes that involve cost estimation, schedule coordination, build process definition, and implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 5 years of progressive experience leading aerospace engineering teams transitioning product lines from design to production.
- Must be a US Citizen. Must comply with ITAR regulations and site SSA requirements.
- GKN Experience
- Must have the ability to obtain an Active Secret Clearance
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or Business Administration (MBA) preferred
- Aerostructures composites experience strongly preferred
- Strong mechanical and/or manufacturing engineering experience preferred
- LEAN and/or Six Sigma Green Belt+ Certification preferred
- Understands customer needs and requirements to develop effective QA control processes
- Team leader and contributor with aptitude for mentoring and coaching as a servant leader.
- Able to recognize improvement opportunities and develop new, efficient procedures.
- Proven experience as engineer/quality manager able to adjust to situations and audiences.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.