Sappi Southern Africa
Mechanical Technician ( HRL 15 )
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The incumbent in this position provides a high level of technical support to the Engineering and related Production departments, specifically relating to maintenance, fault diagnosis, plant optimization and projects, within established guidelines and standards, to ensure optimum plant availability in a safe and cost effective manner.
REPORTING TO: Mechanical Engineer
- Optimisation of equipment performance and availability
- Management of SAP PM orders. Daily consultation with Engineer and subordinates regarding maintenance tasks.
- Sourcing and cataloguing of maintenance spares.
- Install, maintain and repair a variety of mechanical equipment
- Assist with shut planning, preparation and execution
- Assist with the development of maintenance schedules for plant equipment in consultation with Engineer and Foreman.
- Fault-finding malfunctions of mechanical equipment within the plant.
- Providing technical support in troubleshooting
- Consulting condition monitoring reports, DCS trends and other information to determine mechanical problems on equipment.
- Researching and investigating new equipment and technology.
- Consults with production manager, process engineer and maintenance engineer to provide a solution to required modifications
- Exploring quality products at reduced costs in the event of replacement.
- Suggest and implement technical improvements on mechanical systems
- Ensures that all modifications/projects conform fully to Mill Change Management Procedures, Mill Standard Specifications, Mill Safety Standards and the OHS Act
- Carry out plant modifications/project work from concept to commissioning and close out.
- Makes use of resources (Internal and contractors) and draws up enquiry and specification documents as required.
- Thorough understanding of the project including the requirements of other disciplines, material requirements, labour requirements, time constraints, plant availability and authority to perform work.
- Proper budget management in line with project time line management.
- Assists in the management of department employees (e.g. selection of new hires, promotions, terminations, transfers, supervising, disciplining, training, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining staffing needs and productivity of the work force.
- Ensuring that maintenance employees gain and maintain a thorough understanding of safety regulations and providing guidance on department policies, standards and procedures.
- Coaches/mentors team members.
- Ensures on-the-job and off-the-job training activities.
- Evaluates and directs performance of team members against goals and standards to ensure maximum performance. Monitors and adjusts employee roles and responsibility accordingly.
- Understands and manages the SHEQ requirements of the Section.
- Monitor subordinate’s performance against SHEQ requirements and corrects non-conformances.
- Investigates incidents (SHEQ) and identify root causes of Non- Conformances and corrects deviations.
- Understand and complies to the OHS Act requirements
- Maintains a high level of good housekeeping in the workplace at all time.
KEY COMPETENCIES / SKILLS
- Knowledge in maintenance practices including lubrication, alignment, instrumentation, planned maintenance, condition monitoring, hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Understanding of Plant Operations and equipment layout.
- Knows and understands the budgeting policy and procedures of the organisation.
- Understanding of maintenance schedules.
- Project design and delivery
- Knowledge of plant maintenance systems, business processes (SAP), and best practices
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- S4 National Mechanical Diploma with 3 years experience OR
- N6 Mechanical with 5-10 years experience
- At least 2 years Supervisory experience
- SAP knowledge will be advantageous
- Project Management experience will be advantageous
- Pulp and Paper experience will be advantageous
Closing date: 22 October 2018
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com. Click on careers --> Browse vacancies --> Sign in. Create an account and apply.
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.