Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America's in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Process Engineer/Sr Process Engineer
Work Site: Mill Somerset
Somerset is currently looking for a Process Engineer/Senior Process Engineer with a focus on process and quality improvement activities and the desire to move into operations in the future. This position is for an individual who is or has the ability to become proficient with mill data systems in order to support the technical and operations’ needs. The successful candidate will lead improvement efforts through process and product trials, provide advice and service to improve process efficiencies, product quality and cost, devising new approaches for determining solutions.
- Responsible for managing and complying with all safety, hygiene, and environmental systems and programs to ensure a safe, wholesome workplace.
- The incumbent will provide technical advice and service within an assigned area of the mill to improve process efficiencies, product quality and cost.
- As a key member of the Technical Services Department, the successful candidate will interact with all parts of the Sappi organization, internally and externally to recommend, initiate and execute projects.
- Work requires judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Will strive to devise new approaches for determining solutions to improve problems encountered.
- Directs the evaluation of paper machine trials and related processes, equipment, instruments, raw materials, and other special studies as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated people and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong analytical capability and knowledge of improvement methodologies.
- 2-5 years of experience in pulp or papermaking processes.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Karen Caffyn
Contact Information: Karen Caffyn , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.