Sappi Southern Africa
Forestry - Shaw Research Centre
Research Officer 1 - Tree Biotechnology ( HRL 15/S8 )
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Sappi Southern Africa - Forests is seeking a suitable Research Officer :Tree Biotechnology to ensure that all plant production projects, research work and nursery maintenance at Sappi’s Shaw Research is effectively managed and implementation of commercial nursery training
REPORTING TO: PRINCIPAL RESEARCH OFFICER
- Prepare experimental plans
- Determine & design the type of trial or experiment
- Allocate resources and produce material for experiment
- Implement, monitor and manage experiment (e.g. nursery propagation trials) including those specific for Sappi’s commercial nurseries
- File and archive experiment records
- Input, extract and ensure that databases are updated
- Extract, analyse & interpret data in order to report on results
- Stay abreast of current Research methodology in order to ensure best practice in specialist fields
- Prepare and participate in field days, conferences, research reviews & other related forums
- Make presentations & provide regular feedback to internal and external stakeholders
- Interact frequently with Nursery staff to transfer research recommendations to operations
- Plan, implement and oversee nursery training in the areas of plant quality, best operating practices and propagation technology changes
- Manage hedges and plan orders to produce quality plants, on time, for Tree Breeding and other customers.
- Manage Nursery consumables, equipment, infrastructure & facilities to ensure effective operation at all times.
- Liaise with Nursery users to ensure effective use of Nursery facility
- Liaise timeously with service providers to repair and/or upgrade systems to stay up to date with technology.
- Lead & performance manage subordinates to attain objectives
- Manage staff personal development plans and ensure competency gaps are closed
- Provide coaching support to subordinates in order to facilitate realistic career paths
- Build effective teams & manage employee relations.
- Effective time and resource management to ensure work is completed efficiently
- Ensure staff comply with safety procedures
- Participate in SHEQ committee
- Ensure that staff comply with legislative and company policies & procedures
- Ensure that resources are effectively managed within budget constraints
- Responsible for safety of staff and other stakeholders
KEY COMPETENCIES / SKILLS
- Problem Analysis & Solving
- Planning & Organising
- Attention to detail
- Leadership Skills
- Risk Management
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in a relevant science
- An Honours Degree will be an advantage
- UP to 2 years’ experience in nursery plant production / research
- Driver’s license
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.