Sappi North America is a division of Sappi Limited, a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with manufacturing operations on four continents in nine countries with sales offices in 50 countries. The Cloquet Mill, located on the banks of the St. Louis River, produces some of the highest quality heavyweight web and sheet fed products in the world. The original mill opened in 1898 and has undergone a variety of changes and improvements over the years, most-recently (2013) to convert the pulp mill into a producer of Specialized Cellulose, dissolving pulp used primarily for the textile markets. With the conversion, the pulp mill is now able to swing between Specialized Cellulose and Kraft pulp based on market needs. With a focus on responsible and sustainable operations, the Cloquet Mill is focused on energy savings improvements which have led to local, state, and national environmental recognition.
Position (job title): Mill Outage Project (Manager) Engineer
Work Site: Mill Cloquet
- Minimum of 5+ years engineering, project management or maintenance experience preferred.
- A mechanical or electrical engineering degree and/or equivalent technical training is required. In addition, a minimum of five years experience maintaining utilities, chemical processing, and/or recovery and related peripheral equipment is a requirement.
- Hold a current Minnesota State Boiler’s Chief A license or equivalent preferred.
- PMP – Project Management Professional Certification preferred
Major Job Responsibilities / Requirements:
The person in this unique position will have a substantial impact on the safe operation, environmental compliance, reliability and financial performance of the equipment of the Cloquet Mill. By coordinating the Pulp Mill, Power Boiler and Steam Turbine major maintenance outage planning and execution with a variety of personnel, completing and managing the maintenance budget, and executing the continuous maintenance plan, the Mill Outage Project (Manager) Engineer will support the delivery of operating results. In addition, assistance in mechanical troubleshooting, root cause failure analysis investigations and scope of repair is a requirement.
This position will require the integration of Engineering, Project Management, Operational and Maintenance principles to lead the team to successful outages. This individual will coach and develop maintenance teams, in-house and contractors, capable of running an effective organization that supports pulp and paper business production goals. They will also facilitate process improvement efforts to reduce process variability, increase uptime, increase efficiency and minimize costs through implementation of the Mill’s safety and business plans.
- An understanding of operating, maintaining and design of Power Boilers, Steam Turbine Generators and auxiliary equipment
- An understanding of Kraft recovery cycle operations and chemical processes
- Experience in applying leadership and team skills (Supervisory experience preferred.)
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel and Project), SAP, PI and other company software packages
- Experience in the utilization of preventative and predictive maintenance procedures to improve reliability and equipment integrity
- Proficiency in the development and management of long-term plans and budgets, project management, and the reconciliation of actual expenditures to budget
- Additionally, strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to function as a technical expert and a team lead, simultaneously, to plan and execute complex outages
- Experience in managing the contractor cycle – bid scope, contractor selection, requisition and purchase order, contractor performance management, invoice/payment processing
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Diane Norkunas
Contact Information: 218-878-4204 , email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.