Sappi North America, headquartered in Boston, is a subsidiary of Sappi Limited (JSE), a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with more than 13,000 employees and manufacturing operations on three continents in seven countries and customers in over 100 countries around the world. We are a leading global provider of sustainable woodfiber products and solutions. The success of our four diversified businesses – high quality Coated Printing Papers, Specialised Cellulose, Release Papers and Specialty Packaging – is driven by strong customer relationships, best-in-class people and advantaged assets, products and services. Our high quality Coated Printing Papers, including McCoy, Opus, Somerset and Flo, are the key platform for premium magazines, catalogs, books and high-end print advertising. We are a leading manufacturer of Specialised Cellulose used in a wide range of products, including textile fibers and household goods, and one of the world's leading suppliers of Release Papers with our Ultracast and Classics lines for the automotive, fashion and engineered films industries. Our Specialty Packaging products, such as LusterPrint and LusterCote, represent an important asset in the food packaging and labelling industries. Customers rely on Sappi for high technical, operational and market expertise; products and services delivered with consistently high quality and reliability; and, state-of-the-art and cost-competitive assets and innovative spirit.
Position (job title): Forest Certification Manager
Work Site: Mill Somerset
- Secure and maintain 3rd party forest certifications consistent with identified market and business needs
- Conduct and document material risk assessments of SNA wood and pulp suppliers consistent with Lacey Act and other standards
- Engage with relevant certification standards agencies (including SFI, PEFC, FSC) to monitor trends and advocate positions consistent with SNA interests
- Working with SNA business unit leaders, define certification requirements to meet customer expectation and other business needs.
- Manage certification audits and other activities to secure and maintain necessary certification levels, including wood basket and logger outreach as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain a strong control environment across all SNA operations for the tracking of inputs and consumption of forest certification credits
- Develop and implement a training programs across SNA business units and functions to instill understand of 3rd party assurance programs
- Facilitate continuous improvement by identifying efficiency improvement opportunities in forest certification and other forest risk management activities
- Engage with certification and/or sustainability managers across Sappi regions, including group HQ, to ensure good understanding of all the elements of the global certification programme and compliance therewith
- Build excellent relationships with certification agencies and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Serve as an internal consultant for business regarding certification standards.
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that the Sappi corporate image is upheld, risks are mitigated and that relationships continuously improve.
- Responsible for completing and maintaining certification and registration documentation.
- Identify and set reporting periods to promote understanding certification standards.
- Track performance metrics of certification standards to assess effectiveness of obtaining certification.
Required Qualifications, Experience, and Certifications:
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree in an environmentally related discipline.
- At least 3 years relevant experience in forest management
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent PC skills, knowledge of SAP preferred
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a complex organization and ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Knowledge of Sappi operations preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of certification processes.
- Demonstrated understanding of compliance and sustainability processes.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Mellissa Johnson
Contact Information: 617-423-5402 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.