Sappi North America, headquartered in Boston, is a subsidiary of Sappi Limited (JSE), a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with more than 13,000 employees and manufacturing operations on three continents in seven countries and customers in over 100 countries around the world. We are a leading global provider of sustainable woodfiber products and solutions. The success of our four diversified businesses – high quality Coated Printing Papers, Specialised Cellulose, Release Papers and Specialty Packaging – is driven by strong customer relationships, best-in-class people and advantaged assets, products and services. Our high quality Coated Printing Papers, including McCoy, Opus, Somerset and Flo, are the key platform for premium magazines, catalogs, books and high-end print advertising. We are a leading manufacturer of Specialised Cellulose used in a wide range of products, including textile fibers and household goods, and one of the world's leading suppliers of Release Papers with our Ultracast and Classics lines for the automotive, fashion and engineered films industries. Our Specialty Packaging products, such as LusterPrint and LusterCote, represent an important asset in the food packaging and labelling industries. Customers rely on Sappi for high technical, operational and market expertise; products and services delivered with consistently high quality and reliability; and, state-of-the-art and cost-competitive assets and innovative spirit.
Position (job title): Associate Research Fellow / Research Fellow
Work Site: Technology Center
- 10-15 years formulating UV/EB cured coatings with broad industrial experience.
- Functional knowledge of paper / paper manufacturing / web coating.
- Advanced Degree in Organic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Material Science, Paper Science or Chemical Engineering.
Major Job Responsibilities:
The candidate is expected to contribute to a broad multi-disciplinary team and is responsible for implementing developments of considerable importance, scope, and complexity. This scientist will combine mastery of the relevant chemical theory with their practical experience designing electron-beam and UV cured coatings. Specific knowledge of polymer science, (meth) acrylates, epoxies, free radical polymerization, silicones and web-coating processing agents is required. The applicant should be well versed in the implementation of their respective coatings in a manufacturing environment. Additionally, the candidate will coordinate and participate in both internal manufacturing and external customer trials, as part of their accountability to bring innovation from the laboratory environment to commercial fruition; this may require some international travel.
Specific Job Tasks:
- Independent researcher, inventor, consultant and technical authority on radiation-cured coatings.
- Develops and implements scientifically meaningful and financially valuable solutions coherent with the long-term strategic goals of the Westbrook paper mill and release business.
- Uncovers innovative materials and systems to tactically advance the technology and/or cost competitiveness of Sappi’s specialty papers.
- Applies technology platforms and novel materials from adjacent industries and disciplines to product and process technical challenges.
- Liaison between Sappi and universities, industrial consortiums, research institutes and relevant industrial partners.
- Creates, maintains and documents a plan of research objectives incorporating principles of Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), statistical data analysis, and methods of experimental design.
- Executes project work in laboratory and manufacturing sites safely, effectively and with minimum impact on operational productivity.
- Participates in external trials and brings technical prowess to our customer support function; expected international travel ~10%
- Candidate has demonstrated past innovative accomplishments in the area of specialty papers / radiation cured coatings.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Sandra Penna
Contact Information: 207-857-1011 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.