Sappi North America, headquartered in Boston, is a subsidiary of Sappi Limited (JSE), a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with more than 13,000 employees and manufacturing operations on three continents in seven countries and customers in over 100 countries around the world. We are a leading global provider of sustainable woodfiber products and solutions. The success of our four diversified businesses – high quality Coated Printing Papers, Specialised Cellulose, Release Papers and Specialty Packaging – is driven by strong customer relationships, best-in-class people and advantaged assets, products and services. Our high quality Coated Printing Papers, including McCoy, Opus, Somerset and Flo, are the key platform for premium magazines, catalogs, books and high-end print advertising. We are a leading manufacturer of Specialised Cellulose used in a wide range of products, including textile fibers and household goods, and one of the world's leading suppliers of Release Papers with our Ultracast and Classics lines for the automotive, fashion and engineered films industries. Our Specialty Packaging products, such as LusterPrint and LusterCote, represent an important asset in the food packaging and labelling industries. Customers rely on Sappi for high technical, operational and market expertise; products and services delivered with consistently high quality and reliability; and, state-of-the-art and cost-competitive assets and innovative spirit.
Position (job title): Senior OD Manager
Department: Human Resources
Work Site: HO Boston or SSC South Portland
The Senior OD Manager position is responsible for:
- Aligning Department, Mill, Corporate and Global objectives and enhance organizational performance.
- Aid individuals, teams, and the organization to improve effectiveness and performance in various aspects of the business.
- Partner with management team who typically lead in a, “roll-up-your-sleeves” environment.
More specifically, the Senior OD Manager will enhance and lead the company’s key strategic initiatives regarding 1) culture and organization development, 2) leadership development, and 3) talent management/succession processes for North America. Emphasis will be on the culture change strategies and tactics, identification retention, and development of mid-level incumbents, replacements, and high potential individuals. These positions take responsibility for the company’s internal talent review and play a direct, active, involved and highly consultative role with the mid- and senior- level management team. When successful, there will be a deep, in-depth knowledge of each of the incumbents, and their potential and will play an informed, involved, hands-on role viewed to be “invaluable” in appointments and needs to open positions.
Additionally, talent development will include:
- Creating and implementing strategies to grow, develop, and retain the top and mid- level salaried population. Responsible for the processes and practices associated with the attraction, development, and retention. This involves a strong partnership with the corporate HR Director/managers and field HR.
- Developing or enhancing a comprehensive talent development strategy including the identification and evaluation of external programs and systems to create a variety of resources to create a formal ongoing, learning culture.
- Serving as an Advisor to the management team on issues involving leadership and development, effectiveness of management and their teams, recruitment, succession, talent management and other strategic HR issues.
- Advising and supporting management in developing and/or implementing strategic staffing, recruitment, training, development and succession plans to meet both long-term and current needs.
- Be a change agent for the organization; designing, developing, and delivering management and team-based programs.
- Develop leaders; strengthen the skills and performance of high potential and promotable employees.
- Develop success talents and succession planning
- Establish expectations, evaluate performance, skills, and potential for senior talent.
- Design and execute employee engagement surveys every 18-24 months; work with global OD team to develop survey framework and reporting requirements.
- Lead the performance management process.
- Administer various assessments for self-awareness and developmental purposes.
- Generate and deliver OD-related reports for both regional and global purposes.
- Help design, prepare, and deliver various regional meetings.
- Provide assistance to global projects and communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. Masters in HR Development or other related graduate degree highly desirable.
- Minimum 5 years prior assessment experience/exposure to competency development models and OD experience.
- Experience as HR practitioner (both a generalist and functional specialist) preferred.
- MBTI, KFALP, Korn-Ferry 360 Degree Feedback certifications preferred.
- A “roll up your sleeves” environment and approach.
- Understanding of cultural differences and geographic sensitivities.
- Will have sound knowledge of assessment, attraction, development, etc – and have expertise and relationships with “best practice” consultants, academicians, vendors and associates.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Mellissa Johnson
Contact Information: 617-423-5402 , email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.