Sappi Southern Africa
Saiccor Mill, Umkomaas
Quality Manager II ( HRL 18 )
Sappi Southern Africa requires a Quality Manager to provide specialised QA and QC expertise to manufacturing units & Projects in Sappi SA region, driving in-house capability to improve service delivery, quality control and preservation of assets according to best operating practices and standards.
This role reports into the Regional Engineering Manager.
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Provide professional input and coordinate QA (Quality Assurance) / QC (Quality Control) standards for regional projects, maintenance and shut work.
- Provide QA / QC input into the design of plant and equipment.
- Manage and maintain Regional QA / QC manuals and standards.
- Review, develop and implement QA / QC best practices and standards for the region.
- Coordinate and conduct QA / QC audits to ensure compliance with best engineering practices, legislation and prescribed standards.
- Audit new and existing suppliers and contractor’s QA / QC systems and capabilities.
- Review and approve contractors welding procedures prior to shut work.
- Work closely with AIA (Authorised Inspection Authority) and NDT (Non-destructive Testing) companies reviewing results, inspections and recommendations.
Project site compliance
- Elaborating and coordinating the welding specifications, and codes/standards for work on the site.
- Coordination with the field subcontractors for all welding procedure specifications and procedure qualification reports.
- Review cause and effects of welding defects and take remedial actions.
- Coordination with the field subcontractors and the 3rd party NDT (non-destructive testing) Inspection Company.
- Review of the radiographic film and all NDT reports on a weekly basis.
- Auditing of the approved 3rd party NDT Inspection Company.
- Reviewing the inspection and testing methods and procedures for Radiographic, Dye Penetrant, Magnetic Particle, and Ultrasonic testing.
- Reviewing of welder qualifications testing and procedures qualification testing.
- Witnessing any remedial repair welding.
- Reviewing of the welding summary reports.
- Checking the hydrostatic test packages for NDT compliance prior to testing.
- Monitor any Post Weld Heat Treatment on site and review the completed test reports.
- Selection of welds for non-destructive testing.
- Recording and listing of defective welds.
- Monitor and conduct ad-hoc inspection of the control and issue of welding electrodes.
- Control the quality control site welding inspectors.
- Actively monitor site radiation safety.
- Coordinate the issue of non-conformance reports through the site QC Manager and SHEQ Manager.
- Witnessing and sentencing of all site inspections within their disciplines.
- Coordinate all site inspections with the site subcontractors.
- Ensure that all inspection reports are accurate and that all attached documents are current status.
- Prepare non-conformance reports and develop corrective actions.
- Assist the construction manager in clarifying & resolving any quality management discrepancies and ambiguities.
- Coordinate with the customers QC inspectors for the resolution of site problems.
- Coordinate with the site subcontractors to ensure that communications exist and are maintained.
- Provides guidance to the site subcontractors in ISO piping drawing interpretation.
- The completion of QC site instructions and coordinate their closure, the review of inspection test packages during the course of construction activities.
- Implement the QA/QC management system at site.
- Coordinate with the customer representative on all quality matters.
- Distribute relevant QA/QC documentation to site subcontractors.
- Participate in internal and external quality site audits & recommend remedial action.
- Coordinate all the quality site inspections through the site QC inspectors.
- Ensure all quality control documentation is compiled and competed for as-built hand over through the QC turnover engineer.
- Monitor the implementation of the approved site QC Plan.
- Coordinate with the site construction manager on all quality assurance issues.
- Coordinate and chair the QA/QC site weekly meetings with the projects subcontractor's QC personnel.
- Minimise site quality delays to ensure adherence to project schedule.
- Maintain cost management by ensuring quality inspections by 3rd parties are on time.
- Working knowledge of SANS347, API650, SANS10227, ASME B31.1 & 3 standards.
The ideal candidate should have:
- National Diploma (S4/N6) in Mechanical Engineering (NQF 7)
- Welding & International Code qualification.
- Relevant tertiary engineering qualification
- Relevant QA/QC qualification
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience with 5 years’ experience in construction/projects experience.
Closing date: 19 June 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.