Sappi Southern Africa
Saiccor Mill, Umkomaas
Project Site Manager ( HRL 17 )
Sappi Southern Africa requires a Project Site Manager to provide active onsite supervision and management of all construction activity pertaining to civil, mechanical and electrical engineering.
This role reports into the Senior Project Manager.
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Ensure the timely execution of all detailed designs, specifications and drawings required for construction of the works, including any necessary specification of temporary works.
- Conducts risk management, including construction, operational, and financial risk.
- Evaluate construction methods and determine cost-effectiveness of plans.
- Prepares and submit budget estimates and cost tracking reports.
- Following internal standards, supporting the Project Manager in the production of construction progress reports in line with report deadlines indicating schedule versus plan and progress.
- Attends and coordinate relevant project related internal and external meetings.
- Inspect general purpose work permits (GPWP’s) on an ad-hoc basis to confirm compliance.
- Establish whether contractors meet technical and contractual requirements as per the contract.
- Determine if contractors meet local standards according to applicable regulations and applicable laws and that all contractors secure and work to all necessary construction permits, consents and licenses.
- Record contractor deviations & non-compliance and initiate close-out.
- Apply the correct mechanical & civil mill standards to contractors to execute work on-site.
Health, safety and environmental
- Manage safety in work areas in conjunction with the safety officer.
- Monitor engineer, procure, commission contractors' works during construction in accordance to OHS Act & regulations and applicable laws and documented by way of a suitable health, safety and environment management system.
- Encourage and monitor standards of health, safety, environment, and quality to ensure high standards are maintained (project safety policy, quality plan, environmental plan, and contractual specifications).
- Inspect the contractor’s safety file and approve via the SHEQ department.
- Arrange site specific safety induction with the mill to avoid delays.
- Assist in safe commissioning of project & equipment.
- In conjunction with the Project Manager and technical specialist staff, oversees all works conducted by the construction team, including contractors, sub-contractors, and associated interfaces in an effort to maintain high quality of work delivery.
- Supervise mechanical & civil contractors on-site.
- Monitor contractors program schedule & clients program to ensure synergy.
- Support the project manager in adhering to project deadlines by expediting work on the site.
- Ensures safety permit compliance on site by carrying out ad hoc inspections.
- In conjunction with material controls, inspect equipment arriving on site to ensure that delivery note matches purchase order.
- Mechanical piping installation management according to ISO drawings
- Arrange logistics for materials & equipment to be delivered from project stores i.e. by means of forklift, cranes of lowbed truck from area drawings to identify laydown areas for material and equipment close to their final position.
- Plan and arrange laydown areas for materials and equipment close to final position.
- Assist and co-ordinate rigging of mechanical equipment into final position.
- Assist the mechanical engineer with basic enquiries, in ordering of piping, fittings & consumable materials.
- Confirm with quality control (QC) and material controls that materials have arrived with data-packs, prior to release.
- Confirm geo-technical work is conducted as per the enquiry.
- Confirm civil benchmarks, datum points and view set-outs before equipment placement.
- Ensure motor/equipment concrete plinths and bases are built to the correct dimensions and loading specifications.
- Record/photograph and approve with area manager all extra mechanical & civil work (Variation Orders) in respect of additional materials and labour.
- Ensure tagging and lock-out system is in place on all mechanical & electrical rotating equipment.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Degree qualified in engineering (or other related subject) or equivalent by experience
- 8 years experience in project site construction including practical knowledge of project engineering; design, Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) and multi contract administration, project management / construction management
- Experience in multidisciplinary construction management (civil, mechanical and electrical installation works)
- Knowledge of engineering regulations, international standards and certification body requirements
- A government certificate of compliance would be an advantage.
Closing date: 19 June 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.