Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America's in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Technical Manager
Work Site: Mill Somerset
The Technical Manager position provides leadership in development and management of the Technical, Quality and Environmental Departments. This position is a key member of the Somerset Mill Leadership Team working alongside other mill leaders in setting mill-wide priorities and objectives.
- Provides mill-wide leadership in all technical, product quality and environmental functions of the Somerset operation. This includes safety performance, variable cost improvement, pulp and paper manufacturing optimization, product quality and production testing. The Technical Manager actively supports Lean Six Sigma training and project activities, maintains ISO certification standards, mill environmental compliance and asset maximization.
- Leads Variable cost improvement activities including support of technology center and procurement initiatives.
- Leads and supports numerous complex company/supplier projects or issues. Works closely with marketing/sales, customers, and the Technology Center on product improvement opportunities.
- Leads Product Quality Management activities to improve customer satisfaction with existing products.
- Manage multiple priorities
- Lead others and manage projects
- Driven to seek improved methods and technology; solve complex or long-standing problems
- Strong communication skills
- Keep current with the industry through internal peer groups and external contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree (chemical engineering preferred) or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 12 years’ experience in Kraft pulp and paper coated paper production (coating knowledge a plus)
- 3-5 years upper level management experience, pulp and paper manufacturing
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Cayla Tozier
Contact Information: 207-238-3441 , email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.