Sappi Southern Africa
Engineer / Scientist 1 ( HRL 15U )
To provide technical support for troubleshooting, optimisations and technology imporvement projects related to wet-end chemistry and Speciality Chemical additives on the paper machines and paper machine pulp supply lines to improve paper machine profitability<span lang="EN-US" style="color: black; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"> <span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language: EN-ZA; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;">by making use of basic applied research methodologies, troubleshooting, data analysis and documenting outcomes in reports.
REPORTING TO: Senior Engineer
- Provide technical support for troubleshooting, optimisations and technology improvement projects related to wet-end chemistry and Specialty chemical additives on the paper machines and Paper Machine Pulp supply lines
- Provide an interface between Sappi Technology Centre Paper Sciences Team and the Mill to ensure effective communication and knowledge sharing
- Provide specialist support to the mill around paper machine and pulp plant wet-end chemistry
- Conduct laboratory investigations related to wet-end chemistry optimizations and new/alternative technology investigations
- Assist with paper machine optimizations influenced by paper machine Chemistry
- Measurement and reporting on wet-end chemistry (Charge, drainage, retention, air entrainment, conductivity etc.)
- Benchmarking of paper machine performance with regards to Specialty Chemical usages and costs against industry
- Identification and implementation of improvement projects involving Specialty Chemicals
- On machine troubleshooting and chemical dosage optimization
- Review of chemical usages and reporting on variances with corrective action
- Co-ordination of machine trials for chemical improvement projects
- Trial monitoring and communication of trial performance against objectives and reasons for deviation if any
- Assist in chemical supplier performance reviews
- Data management and intermediate statistical evaluation
- Employ project management tools to plan and execute projects within a team
- Ensure successful project value delivery
- Produce proposals, reports, project closing documentation and PCV (post completion verification).
- Reaches scientifically accurate and defendable conclusions.
- Understand and use basic project financial calculations
- Compile and present technical and project related Intra-Sappi presentations
The ideal candidate would have:
- Relevant 3yr degree (NQF7) with 2 years of experience in a pulp and paper industry
- Relevant 4yr with 1 years’ experience in a pulp and paper industry
- Relevant MSc/MEng
Closing date: 27 March 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.