Sappi Southern Africa
Forestry - Victoria Country Club Estate
Engineer in Training - Civil ( 85 and 86 for temps )
2 Year Contract
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
<span 9pt="" style="font-family:;">To complete a two-year comprehensive training programme that contributes the knowledge and practical requirements to become a proficient Civil Engineer, who will be responsible to <span 9pt="" style="font-family:;">plan, design and oversee construction and maintenance of building structures and infrastructure, such as roads, railways, bridges, dams and water and sewerage systems.
REPORTING TO: Logistics & Fibre Supply Manager
- Practical work as per Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) standards for Civil Engineering:
- Writing a report on the Professional Environment by studying the rules and regulations pertaining to Civil Engineering as well as the structure of Sappi.
- Develop an Engineering Brief on assignment you receive and present the brief to your Mentor.
- Design solutions to problems by evaluating (not limited to) technical and financial alternatives and present the proposed solution to your mentor.
- Implementation of approved solutions under the guidance of your mentor.
- Recommend, prepare and update road standards policies and procedures for construction and maintenance techniques for Sappi Forests by evaluating local and overseas standards and techniques, including the cost benefit of alternative road treatments, by consulting with local and overseas Civil Engineering companies, attending courses, seminars, lectures and direct involvement with other Forestry companies.
- Prepare and control roads budgets, capital expenditure and maintenance on harvesting roads and depots in order that functional and reliable roads are available for all of Sappi Forest operations that require roads.
- Formulate tenders and prepare contracts with Civil Engineering Contractors. Both for capital and maintenance projects as well as other civil engineering projects, such as dams and airstrips. Ensure tenders and contracts developed are discussed with relevant responsible Sappi employee before implementation.
- Control all aspects of construction projects i.e. expenditure, project and contractor management, quality control and soil testing under the guidance of the assigned Mentor and/or Coach.
- Liaise with Provincial Roads Departments, Sappi Logistics Department and Forestry Department on infrastructure development and maintenance.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- BSc or BEng in Civil Engineering
- Computer literate
- SAP knowledge will be advantageous
- No prior work experience required
Closing Date: 20th March 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.