Sappi Southern Africa
HR Consultant: Operations (2) ( HRL 15U )
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The incumbent in this position will provide a proactive business partner service that advises line managers and employees on all people related matters and delivers first class HR Services in order to ensure that Stanger mill business strategy is achieved.
REPORTING TO: HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
- Participate in recruitment and selection processes. Ensure smooth on-boarding of new employees by meeting new employees and taking responsibility for the first week’s settling in.
- Review requests for fixed term contractors against budget and legal requirements. Decline at source if it doesn’t meet the standards. Recommend for approval if appropriate.
- Identify the need for organisational development interventions in the business area to resolve issues around team dynamics, leadership or related items. Source support from regional specialists or other business unit HR teams.
- Determine if psychometric assessments would be needed in the business area and contract the scheduling and execution with the psychometrist.
- Execute the business area’s workforce planning, career conversations, performance management and succession planning process. Identify the need for development and engage the learning team to support.
- Explain remuneration policies and processes to line managers and employees, including employee benefits. Attempt to resolve issues or complaints locally, or escalate to the regional team if unresolved.
- Monitor employee turnover (voluntary and involuntary) in the business area and highlight potential issues to the HR Manager. Do succession planning for retirees coming up in the next 5 years on an ongoing basis.
- Refer employees or line managers for occupational health or employee wellbeing consultation when needed.
- Drive the process when an employee has to go on temporary or permanent disability by ensuring that the correct people are involved and that the right support is given to the line manager and the employee.
- Participate in local business projects to ensure that people issues, including structures, job profiles and training needs are adequately addressed. Evaluate the impact of proposed changes and manage change to minimise the disruption of business activities.
- Continuously encourage line managers and employees to use the self-service functionality available – SAP Employee and Manager Self Service, Sappi Learning, SappiNet HR and the recruitment system.
- Provide day to day advice to employees and line managers how to respond to people issues. Act as single point of contact and intermediary for HR services for the assigned business area.
- Explain HR policies, practices and procedures, ensure that it is implemented. Escalate to the HR Manager if managers or employees have issues that may be outside of policy. HR Business Partners are expected to be experts on all the HR policies in the region.
- Attend to and advise managers on employee relations matters. Responsible for discipline, grievance, dispute resolution and employee consultations. Participate in the local employment equity committee on invitation.
- Drive performance management processes, coach line managers on effective goal setting and performance appraisals. Audit a sample of appraisals every year and provide specific feedback on improvements needed to the line managers involved.
- Execute agreed tasks or actions around employee engagement, for example providing engagement survey feedback, driving local actions and doing quick local surveys and check-in sessions. Highlight potential risks identified to the HR Manager.
- Compile reports and analyses. Identify trends and inform line managers of the right actions to prevent issues from occurring.
- Drive the company’s transformation objectives in the business area in relation to employment equity, skills development and equal opportunities for disabled people. Participate in identifying vacancies suitable for people with disabilities.
- Support cost centre owners in the annual process of determining headcount budget and staff costs. Monitor the headcount for the business area against headcount budgets and approve or decline recruitment requests. Escalate out of budget requests to the HR Manager.
- Ensure that the HR Admin team maintains employee data, including organisation structures, job titles and related information correctly on the SAP system for the business area. Draw detailed reports once a month to check that the information is correct.
KEY COMPETENCIES / SKILLS
- Situational Adaptability
- Decision Quality
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- National Diploma or Bachelors Degree in Human Resources, Industrial Psychology or related fields’
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience as a HR Business Partner, or HR Consultant
- Computer literate
- Understanding of SAP HR would be advantageous
Closing date: 21 March 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.