Sappi North America is a division of Sappi Limited, a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with manufacturing operations on four continents in nine countries with sales offices in 50 countries. The Cloquet Mill, located on the banks of the St. Louis River, produces some of the highest quality heavyweight web and sheet fed products in the world. The original mill opened in 1898 and has undergone a variety of changes and improvements over the years, most-recently (2013) to convert the pulp mill into a producer of Verve, a dissolving wood pulp used primarily for the textile markets. With the conversion, the pulp mill is now able to swing between dissolving wood pulp and Kraft pulp based on market needs. With a focus on responsible and sustainable operations, the Cloquet Mill is focused on energy savings improvements which have led to local, state, and national environmental recognition.
Position (job title): Stock Prep Production Engineer IV
Work Site: Mill Cloquet
- Understanding of stock prep makedown equipment and paper machine operations is preferred. Engineering or Bachelors degree is desirable. However, equivalent experience is acceptable (3-5 yrs in supervisory role with manufacturing experience).
- Minimum 8 years prior experience.
- Computer knowledge – background in Microsoft suite, Proficy, etc. is preferred.
- Understanding of human relations and supervision in an organized labor environment.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to achieve results through people.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- This individual will be responsible for managing the fixed cost budget for the stock prep assets and developing a capital plan to address reliability issues and additional capacity increases.
Duties include but are not limited to…
- Manage equipment reliability
- Review work order notifications and work with area maintenance planner to organize work orders.
- Partner with area maintenance supervisor and planner to organize on-the-run and downday maintenance activities.
- Lead weekly reliability meeting with maintenance supervisor and planner to address on-going equipment issues.
- Manage dried pulp inventory
- Work with paper raw material coordinator to ensure proper floor inventory for papermachine orders.
- Partner with fiber procurement group to manage railcar and truck shipments to minimize freight and demurrage costs.
- Monitor forktruck and unloading equipment condition
- Provide technical and troubleshooting support to stock prep areas
- Monitor pulper DCS control loop performance and work with operators to manage alarm lists for upset conditions.
- Lead daily centerline and follow-up meetings with lead operators. Develop a daily shift plan for downtime conditions.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Diane Norkunas
Contact Information: 218-878-4204 , email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.