Sappi North America is a division of Sappi Limited, a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with manufacturing operations on four continents in nine countries with sales offices in 50 countries. The Cloquet Mill, located on the banks of the St. Louis River, produces some of the highest quality heavyweight web and sheet fed products in the world. The original mill opened in 1898 and has undergone a variety of changes and improvements over the years, most-recently (2013) to convert the pulp mill into a producer of Verve, dissolving wood pulp used primarily for the textile markets. With the conversion, the pulp mill is now able to swing between dissolving wood pulp and Kraft pulp based on market needs. With a focus on responsible and sustainable operations, the Cloquet Mill is focused on energy savings improvements which have led to local, state, and national environmental recognition.
Position (job title): Mechanical Engineering Co-op
Work Site: Mill Cloquet
Sappi, Cloquet Operations, is looking for an energetic, self-motivated Mechanical Engineering student to fill a Co-op position available in the Maintenance Department. This full-time paid co-op (without benefits) is a nine month co-op opportunity with potential start in February 2019 or June 2019.
The co-op engineer will work with Maintenance Engineers & Superintendents to perform tasks within the mill. Job Description as follows:
- Initial Training
- The first goal is always to learn about our mill safety and associated processes to remain safe while on site. Next will be the opportunity to work within our lubrication and roll service departments to provide CAD drafting services, document management support, as required under the supervision of the Lead Project Engineer &/or area superintendent.
- Computer Aided Drafting – Provide detailed drawings for Mechanical, and general engineering design.
- Document Management Support – Help in the development of documentation templates for data retention, work instruction and SOP’s, filing and maintenance of all drawings and associated documents.
- Complete all company safety training.
- Engineering Duties
- After completing initial training, the student will be assigned a mentor to work with for daily and longer term priorities.
- Support mentor and others as assigned in planning and implementing projects to improve production efficiency.
- Assist others with special projects and presentations when requested.
- Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Microsoft Word and Excel experience required.
- Experience with Microsoft Access, Microsoft Project, Microsoft FrontPage, Autodesk ACAD, Autodesk Inventor and Visual Basic is desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to work with other people in a respectful, consistent and fair manner.
- Good organizing, planning and coordinating abilities.
- Creativity in creating new methods of displaying and presenting documentation in the forms of drawings, pictures, text and combinations of all of these.
The pulp and paper industry has much to offer the Mechanical Engineering student. This is a great opportunity to gain real-world engineering experience while making a contribution to Sappi’s objectives and success. In today’s tight job market, experience brought to the table will help advance your career.
Students interested should have completed a minimum of 2 years in an accredited engineering program with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and transcripts by February 28th, 2019.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Diane Norkunas
Contact Information: 218-878-4204 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.