Sappi's Westbrook Mill near Portland, Maine is where the history of Sappi Fine Paper North America began in 1854 with the S. D. Warren Company and where the tradition of papermaking has an unshakable hold. It is the site of the first coated papermaking facility in the United States of America and the place where Sappi Fine Paper North America first developed its reputation for quality and innovation. The Westbrook Mill manufactures specialty coated papers used in a myriad of diverse applications, including the fashion, automotive, aerospace and flooring industries. Our faux-leather and natural textures can be seen in any shopping center around the world.
Position (job title): Fuel Handler
Work Site: Mill Westbrook
The Utilities Department of the Westbrook Mill operates 24/7 supplying steam, process water, compressed air and other “Utilities” to the mill through the operation of a Power Boiler, Steam Turbines and associated auxiliary equipment. The Fuel Handler position is the entry level position into the Utilities Department Line of Progression. The Fuel Handler works in the Fuel Screening and A-Frame Storage buildings where the processes of sizing, storing, and reclaiming biomass fuel for use at the Power Boiler. Additionally, the Fuel Handler is responsible for receiving and monitoring coal for use in the Power Boiler. The Fuel Handler position is responsible for monitoring the biomass and coal receiving systems in this area to ensure proper operation and fuel controls. Working in this environment exposes employees to wood & coal dust, cold temperatures in the winter, and warm temperatures in the summer. There are significant cleaning responsibilities assigned to the Fuel Handler position which are repetitive in nature. The workforce at the mill is unionized. Successful candidates MUST obtain a high pressure boiler license from the State of Maine within 1 year of employment to retain employment.
· Monitor equipment operating conditions, identify and report deficiencies
· Manage the positioning of Reclaim Screws to ensure proper fuel "Turn-
over" and supply to the Power Boiler as well as metering Sludge into the
· Cleaning Responsibilities – Daily Sweeping/Shoveling/general cleaning
of the Screen Building/A-Frame/ Coal Pocket areas and associated
· Assist the Chip Process Operator as needed (vice versa)
· Prepare equipment for maintenance
· Receive Coal Deliveries
· Maintain clear radio communication with Boiler Operators, Chip Process
- Experience in operating large industrial equipment/machinery desired.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Fork Truck or Bobcat operating experience and/or license is a plus.
- Computer literacy (intermediate level).
- A willingness to work rotating shifts including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Successful candidates MUST obtain a high pressure boiler license from the State of Maine within 1 year of employment to retain employment.
A High School Diploma or Equivalent. A stable work history, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
Sappi offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including but not limited to a starting hourly rate of $19.76 and comprehensive healthcare, pension and vacation plans, as well as 12 paid holidays per year.
HR Contact for Questions: Lisa Patterson
Contact Information: 207-856-4615, email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.