Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America’s in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Machinist - Millwright Journeyman
Work Site: Mill Somerset
- High school education or equivalent.
- Completed a four (4) year Machinist - Millwright apprenticeship, or equivalent experience.
- Have ability to learn elements of supplementary craft necessary for promotion to “A” rating and will be willing to work in supplementary craft.
- Have the following tools common to the craft: Sales (6” & 12”), Calipers (0-12” inside and outside), Outside Micrometers (0-3”), Combination Squares, Ball peen Hammers, Screw Drivers, Feeler Gauge, machinist Level, Set of Wrenches (up to 1-5/8” opening), Center Gauge, Thread Gauge, Steel Tape (6’), Hack Saw, Plumb Bob, Punches, Pliers, and Allen Wrenches.
- Demonstrate ability to do the following:
- Read blueprints and working drawings
- Plan and lay out work
- Take accurate measurements using devices common to the craft such as calipers, inside and outside micrometers, dial indicators, thread gauges, feeler gauges, center gauges, radius gauges.
- Understand the machining characteristics of commonly used materials such as mild steel (cold and hot rolled), alloy steels, brass, stainless steel, cast iron, plastics, babbitt including tool, coolant and lubricant selections.
- Use and properly care for all personal and company equipment and tools such as:
- Hand Tools: Fixed and adjustable wrenches, punches, scribes, hammers, drift pins, hack saws, files, taps and dies, reamers.
- Power Tools: Power saws, pedestal and portable grinders and drills, cutoff wheels, threaders, wherever they may be located, portable rotabroach.
- Machine Tools: Major machine shop equipment, such as lathes, milling machines, roll grinder, slitter knife grinder, keyway cutter, planer, shaper, bullard lathe, tool post grinder, rotary table, dividing head, broaches, diamond wheel tool, grinder and small drill grinder, and any other major machine shop equipment that may be purchased in the future. The use of these major machine tools is under the jurisdiction of Machinist-Millwrights.
- Miscellaneous Tools: Portable jacks, pullers, hydraulic press, oxy-acetylene and other gas torches, chain falls, come-a-longs, slings, metallizing equipment.
- Mobile Equipment
- Demonstrate the ability to operate all mill machine tools proficiently including field operation of portable machine tools.
- Use oxy-acetylene and other gas torches to cut bolts, reinforcing rods, steel plate, structural members and machinery components as necessary; to heat couplings, gears, and sleeves, pulleys to facilitate removal or installation.
- Demonstrate the ability to metallize parts when affecting repairs, to straighten shafts and other assemblies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of trade practices regarding tolerances, shrink fits.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of mill safety rules, safe working practices; utilize lock-out procedures, burning and welding procedure, and other procedures that may be implemented.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to instruct other employees in all details of work.
- Must do complete work including proper housekeeping.
- Must have fundamental knowledge of mill processes sufficient to ensure correct material selections for repair work.
HR Contact for Questions: Cayla Tozier
Contact Information: 207-238-3441, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.