Sappi North America is a division of Sappi Limited, a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with manufacturing operations on four continents in nine countries with sales offices in 50 countries. The Cloquet Mill, located on the banks of the St. Louis River, produces some of the highest quality heavyweight web and sheet fed products in the world. The original mill opened in 1898 and has undergone a variety of changes and improvements over the years, most-recently (2013) to convert the pulp mill into a producer of Specialized Cellulose, dissolving pulp used primarily for the textile markets. With the conversion, the pulp mill is now able to swing between Specialized Cellulose and Kraft pulp based on market needs. With a focus on responsible and sustainable operations, the Cloquet Mill is focused on energy savings improvements which have led to local, state, and national environmental recognition.
Position (job title): Production Shift Supervisor - Coating
Work Site: Mill Cloquet
- Understanding of paper machine, coating, or converting operations is preferred. Engineering or Bachelor's degree is desirable. However, equivalent experience is acceptable (3-5 years in supervisory role with manufacturing experience).
- Computer knowledge - background in Microsoft suite, Proficy, etc. is preferred.
- Understanding of human relations and supervision in an organized labor environment.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results through people.
Major Job Responsibilities:
Supervise the Paper Business operations at the plant to maintain a safe, environmentally sound, and efficient operation to achieve maximum quality production at minimum cost. This individual will lead, coach and help develop teams capable of running an effective operation with minimal intervention.
Duties include but are not limited to…
- Assure a safe work environment
- Be aware of and enforce relevant safety rules and procedures, and ensure employee participation in safety training and safety programs.
- Work with a crew to insure a safe work environment, including safety improvement activities such as Risk Assessments, Team Safety Projects, Team Safety Talks, etc.
- Lead, coach, and supply team members with the tools to perform their duties safely and efficiently.
- Evaluate crew members to help them improve their individual performance.
- Work with Maintenance on equipment problems, troubleshooting, and write work requests as necessary.
- Make recommendations for process improvement, equipment changes, or new products.
- Understand and apply the mill Quality Management System, including assisting teams in making quality decisions.
- Achieve or exceed the operating budget levels as specified in the budget or subsequent revisions.
- Understand and be able to schedule equipment and related orders.
- Assure all contractual commitments are met as specified by the Labor Agreement
- Operate the Production Management System (MICS) for all production equipment.
- Provide help and leadership to employees when problems arise.
- Develop and update SOP’s with operating teams for all equipment.
- Facilitate on-shift process improvement efforts to reduce process variability, increase uptime, improve quality and minimize costs.
- Identify gaps in team performance and work with team members to improve training, team dynamics, procedures, etc.
- Area of responsibility is expanded to cover for supervisor vacations in another area of Paper Business.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Diane Norkunas
Contact Information: 218-878-4204 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.