Sappi North America is a division of Sappi Limited, a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with manufacturing operations on four continents in nine countries with sales offices in 50 countries. The Cloquet Mill, located on the banks of the St. Louis River, produces some of the highest quality heavyweight web and sheet fed products in the world. The original mill opened in 1898 and has undergone a variety of changes and improvements over the years, most-recently (2013) to convert the pulp mill into a producer of Specialized Cellulose, dissolving pulp used primarily for the textile markets. With the conversion, the pulp mill is now able to swing between Specialized Cellulose and Kraft pulp based on market needs. With a focus on responsible and sustainable operations, the Cloquet Mill is focused on energy savings improvements which have led to local, state, and national environmental recognition.
Position (job title): IT - Area Manager
Department: Information Technology
Work Site: Mill Cloquet
This position will lead the Sappi NA Cloquet IT Group and will report to the Director of IT Infrastructure. As part of the NA Central IT organization, this group supports a wide variety of manufacturing and business applications as well as desktop and network technologies. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership, organization, enthusiasm, and communications skills to manage this team in addressing Sappi’s high demand for information and applications.
- Responsible for systems development and implementation at the Cloquet Mill. Lead the local IT department, while utilizing the skills of other IT personnel within the organization as necessary, to result in a more efficient information environment.
- Establish future direction of information technology, utilizing resources from within own organization and matrixed resources from the central organization. Continually assess emerging technologies for business application. Must be able to convert information technology opportunities into operational successes at the mills.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge and expertise within the mill organizations as well as a broad knowledge of the overall business and industry.
- Participate in strategic planning for the mill organization through the Mill Management Team and develop projects to meet these plans.
- Implement overall site policies, procedures, standards and systems that support business objectives in a secure and efficient manner.
- Manage expense and capital budgets as well as hiring, training, and conducting employee evaluations.
Accountable for the implementation and customer acceptance of business segment related projects. Receives broad direction from the Director, IT in the form of business objectives.
Minimum Education, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor's degree with ten years of related IT experience. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Five years of supervisory/management experience.
- Strong ability to manage projects/deliverables to ensure deadlines are met.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work well with all levels of the organization.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
Domestic Relocation available: Per Company Policy