Sappi North America, headquartered in Boston, is a subsidiary of Sappi Limited (JSE), a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with more than 13,000 employees and manufacturing operations on three continents in seven countries and customers in over 100 countries around the world. We are a leading global provider of sustainable woodfiber products and solutions. The success of our four diversified businesses – high quality Coated Printing Papers, Specialised Cellulose, Release Papers and Specialty Packaging – is driven by strong customer relationships, best-in-class people and advantaged assets, products and services. Our high quality Coated Printing Papers, including McCoy, Opus, Somerset and Flo, are the key platform for premium magazines, catalogs, books and high-end print advertising. We are a leading manufacturer of Specialised Cellulose used in a wide range of products, including textile fibers and household goods, and one of the world's leading suppliers of Release Papers with our Ultracast and Classics lines for the automotive, fashion and engineered films industries. Our Specialty Packaging products, such as LusterPrint and LusterCote, represent an important asset in the food packaging and labelling industries. Customers rely on Sappi for high technical, operational and market expertise; products and services delivered with consistently high quality and reliability; and, state-of-the-art and cost-competitive assets and innovative spirit.
Position (job title): Procurement Specialist/Sr. Procurement Specialist
Work Site: SSC South Portland
A Procurement Specialist/Senior Procurement Specialist is primarily involved in the implementation of sourcing strategies developed by Commodity Managers or Directors. This person is well versed and accomplished in the execution of standard sourcing practices and is proficient enough that he/she can be assigned specific sourcing initiatives with broadly stated objectives.
This person can be counted on to execute the sourcing initiative with little ongoing oversight. He/she is well suited to represent the organization and negotiate with suppliers. The Procurement Specialist/Senior Procurement Specialist will also work closely with Legal to develop supply agreements. In addition, this person will coordinate daily with mill stakeholders on all service and capital procurement activities.
- Acts as the primary contact for Westbrook Mills’service and capital procurement activities including: working with key stakeholders in the development of project scope, originating bid requests, analyzing and awarding bids, and completing agreements.
- Receives sourcing and other assignments from the Mill Procurement Manager
- Receives guidance on business process issues from the Business Process Manager
- Receives strategic direction for services commodity sourcing activities from the Industrial Services Commodity Manager.
- Executes corporate, regional and site strategic sourcing initiatives developed by Commodity Managers & mill stakeholders, leading to reductions in category spend.
- Performs Business Process tasks such as transactional support and expediting of goods and services
- Will work primarily at the Westbrook Mill and Technical Center 2-3 days per week and at the South Portland Shared Services Center the balance of the work week .
Essential Function Responsibilities
- Develop comprehensive and professional sourcing plan as well as information in areas pertaining to internal data discovery, scope and specification development, market due diligence, competitive intelligence, RFI’s and RFP’s
- Collect and evaluate RFP’s (wherever appropriate) using Best-in-Class sourcing tools, techniques and business practices
- Negotiate complex agreements with manufacturers, distributors, and service providers, either singly or as part of a team
- Lead implementation and rollout of negotiated contracts to: ensure full utilization, to minimize leaks, and to assure suppliers are complying with negotiated terms.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement through structural cost reduction and performance improvement, involving suppliers, as required
- Assist Commodity Managers in developing compelling business case/analysis to drive meaningful change in process, supplier or material as appropriate to meet sourcing/strategic objectives
- Attain expertise in industry best practices and technology trends, and communicate to internal team members, functional peers, business partners, superiors and associates
- Measure supplier performance against key business objectives. Participate in formal supplier business reviews as part of the overall SRM process, including but not limited to supplier evaluation, supplier audits and other related activities
- Support processes to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, ISO, and any other federal, state or regional audit requirements
- Provide transactional support in the area of data entry and expediting, as well as working closely with Shared Financial Services
- Maintains files for T&M rates and insurance certificates
- Establishes and builds upon relationships with suppliers and internal stakeholders to increase competitive bidding and bring value to the mill
- Serve as a temporary back-up to the Commodity Managers or team members during vacation/sick time
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, purchasing, logistics, paper science, forest products or any other related subject from an accredited institution.
- 5 to 10 years of procurement experience with positions of increasing scope and responsibility or, comparable positions /educational experiences that have provided the opportunity to develop business acumen and commercial skills consistent with those required to successfully perform in this role
- Any relevant professional certification such as a CPSM or a CPIM will be an added plus
Special Skills including license certification
- Ability to articulate a broad vision or strategy into actionable tasks
- Knowledge of, and ability to utilize various sourcing techniques as appropriate to achieve stated goals
- Ability to think creatively/out of the box when developing implementation plans
- Proven ability to communicate and influence across multiple levels of the organization in order to secure needed results
- Ability to multi-task effectively while dealing with changing priorities
- Self starter with ability to prioritize and complete assignments in a timely manner with minimum supervision
- Experience with ERP Systems such as SAP is considered a plus.
- Strong PC skills in working with the latest version of Microsoft packages or equivalent suites of word processing, spread-sheet, database, and graphics products
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Mellissa Johnson
Contact Information: 617-423-5402 , email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.