Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America's in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Corporate Safety Systems and Plant Protection Manager
Work Site: Mill Somerset
Provides leadership in developing, managing, coordinating and implementing effective Health and Safety programs and processes at the Somerset Mill. To assist Corporate Director of Safety and Risk Management with the execution of Safety and Risk Management responsibilities, at the corporate level as well as the Somerset Operations level. Provides guidance to all departments to ensure compliance with all Company and regulatory standards.
Corporate Safety Systems Manager (50%)
Information Management Systems:
- Coordinate and participate in fire protection insurance and inspection programs, site risk management reviews, and general liability program management.
- Coordinate and participate in OSAS 18001 Safety & Health Audits, site inspections, site investigations.
- Execute assignments related to Sappi North America product safety related regulatory requirements, customer inquiries, and safety declarations and food safety program.
- Execute assignments from Corporate Director of Safety and Risk Management, and provide back-up support to this position; participate in assigned platform meetings and coordinate meeting records and follow-up initiatives.
Somerset Plant Protection Manager (50%)
- Supervise Plant Protection Department – to ensure effective training, resourcing, and qualification; manage and direct activities to ensure that needs of the mill are met; to provide guidance toward achieving the standards of a High Performance Work Team.
- Administer contractor safety management program – to ensure safety qualifications are met and compliance with standards is assured.
- Chief Administrative Officer for Emergency Response Team and related programs – ensure that the facility emergency prevention, preparedness, and response programs and personnel are effective.
- Coordinates Facility General Liability and Plant Property Protection Programs – to protect the financial and legal interests of Sappi Somerset through respective risk management processes.
- Site representative to Local Emergency Planning Committee, State Emergency Response Committee, Central Maine Emergency Response Team, etc.
- Execute other duties as assigned by Director of Safety and Risk Management and Somerset Management Lead Team. Administer safety department budget process, and provide back-up and on-call support.
- Manage site Wellness program dealing with Gym Membership of all employees.
- Manage the site Radiation Protection Program.
- BS in Safety Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, or Environmental Science is preferred. BS in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering with relevant safety experience will be considered. Other degrees, coupled with relevant safety experience, will be reviewed and considered.
- Formal training or acquired knowledge in Federal, State, Local safety and Health & Security regulations.
- The preferred candidate will have a minimum of 7 years experience as a manager of safety or risk management, supervision of plant protection/security operations, contractor safety management, and oversight of a plant emergency organization in a large, risk intensive manufacturing environment.
- Experience in product safety stewardship and safety/risk management at a corporate level will also be considered.
Special Skills Including License Certification
- Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist is preferred.
- Associate in Risk Management will also be considered.
- Ability to manage a workforce – day-to-day schedule and activities.
Machines or Equipment Used
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle; valid driver’s license required.
- Periodic overnight travel is required. Availability to respond on nights and weekends is required.
- Weekend duty shared with Safety Director.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Cayla Tozier
Contact Information: 207-238-3441 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.