Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America's in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Area Operations Manager - Coatings and Additives
Work Site: Mill Somerset
Responsible for the overall performance of the equipment, systems and human resources in the C&A manufacturing process, ensuring zero downtime for paper machines due to C&A supply issues; work with ops planning to control inventory of raw materials; manage mixing and delivery of coatings and additives; coordinate grade changes with all three PMs; coordinate shutdown strategies with all three PMs; manage all coating formulations and work with technical, research, and operations to optimize costs and implement quality improvements; provide leadership to all four crews through crew meetings, safety meetings, and communication daily; manage safety efforts throughout department; ensure scheduling of crews coordinated properly; work with maintenance resources to maximize overall area efficiency; work on annual fixed and variable costs budgets and strive to maintain costs; work with area personnel within established safety, quality, financial, environmental, housekeeping, ISO and employee performance standards.
- Responsible for managing and complying with all safety, hygiene , food safety and environmental systems and programs to ensure a safe, wholesome workplace.
- Works closely with maintenance, engineering, technical, pulping, and ops planning to provide overall day-to-day management and longer term planning of C&A operation. Coordinates daily operations, including actively leading the crews in problem solving, emergency situation coordination, rotation of 24-hour duty coverage, planning and executing all department and major shutdowns, and monitoring performance against established objectives and expectations.
- Coordinates technical assistance from outside consultants and vendors and provides interface between maintenance, engineering, and operations. Provides management of trial activity and material optimization. Work with vendors to ensure proper inventory of material and proper equipment for makedown and supply of materials.
- Responsible for assessing the safety, technical, and operational needs of crew members and works with available resources to develop and administer training programs to achieve and maintain the required capability in all production employees. Accountable for the performance management and capability development of shift supervisors, providing accurate and timely feedback and communications. Assists in creating a working environment conducive to team building between all operating crews where coaching/counseling, development and communication are key requirements.
- Works with employees, shop stewards, and HR to resolve grievances and complaints in a win-win manner and to improve the team's problem solving/conflict resolution skills; hold regular crew meetings to ensure this occurs.
- Communicates and works with counterparts on paper machines, technical, and research to maintain coating formulations and keep updated per ISO format; maintain ISO system within department; work with auditors when in the area and handle all CARs in C&A.
- Works with the customer and appropriate resources to resolve issues, improve quality and consistency of delivery of desired product. Understands the customers’ needs and works to exceed them.
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering or related engineering/technical field preferred, or equivalent
- 10 years of experience in paper mill setting
- Knowledge of coatings and paper making
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience with PI ProcessBook, MS Office, Braincube, SAP, process control systems preferred
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Cayla Tozier
Contact Information: 207-238-3441 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.