Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America's in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Wood Buyer
Work Site: Mill Somerset
A Wood Buyer will assist the regional wood procurement team in aggressively managing the wood fiber purchase requirements, supporting lowest cost, highest quality wood sourcing to meet the mill’s needs. The Wood Buyer position requires an energetic, well-organized individual who can work independently, but also functions as a team player who will be relied upon principally to identify and develop new open market wood supply and maintain existing relationships.
Procurement and Operational Functions:
- Procurement of roundwood pulpwood and chips
- Assist with weekly management of wood deliveries
- Monitoring of supplier compliance and business relationships
- Product reporting and performance metric tracking
- Assist in the development of tactical and longer-term procurement strategies.
- Work with other members of the regional team in execution of wood supply plan
- Effectively evaluate wood fiber opportunities and successfully negotiate pricing
- Assist Senior Managers in the timely reporting of operational and financial information
- Represent Sappi in the community by participating in Associations, workshops, etc (as appropriate)
Wood Quality Support Functions:
- Sample roundwood and wood chips to ensure quality
- Complete roundwood and chip specification compliance audits
- Complete roundwood and chip quality reporting
- Meet with wood procurement and mill staff to report on quality
Accounting Support Functions:
- Assist with accounting requirements associated with the wood procurement process
- Reconciliation of Exception reports
- Contract management
Forest Certification Support Functions:
- Monitoring Chain of Custody (CoC) of certification schemes
- Performs in-woods certification inspections
- Assist/Participate in Certification Field Audits
- Bachelor of Science in Degree in Forestry or related field
Skills and Requirements:
- 3-5 years of applicable experience is required
- Strong communication, negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and comfortable with using technology
- Valid driver’s license required
- Physical ability to walk through forest areas and logging operations
- Ability to work independently without close supervision
- Experience using computer mapping software and SAP is a plus
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Cayla Tozier
Contact Information: 207-238-3441 , email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.