Sappi Southern Africa
Saiccor Mill, Umkomaas
Operations Manager - Pulping and Recovery ( HRL 17 )
To manage, co-ordinate and plan the activities within the Pulping and Recovery plants as well as activities impacting on other plant areas. Setting of plant specific targets and to achieve continuous improvement for production, quality, safety, environmental, maintenance, plant improvements and cost control.
- Maintain optimum process conditions by close liaison with Production Managers, Shift Superintendents, and Chemical Engineers to optimise the mill production output.
- Carries out regular inspections and takes corrective action within the section to ensure that production, safety, maintenance standards are implemented and maintained.
- Takes the necessary corrective action should any section of plant be off-line.
- In conjunction with the Maintenance Manager and sets realistic budgets for the section, monitors the expenditure against these budgets and takes corrective action.
- Prepares the capital and renewals budget for the section and is responsible for controlling the expenditure and installation of equipment according to these budgets.
- Co-ordinates the commissioning of new equipment in the section.
- Identifies and approves personnel appointments, promotions, and transfers within the section and determines the remuneration of employees and carries out staff appraisals within the section.
- Resolves IR and union matters within the section by liaison with the Production Managers, IR department and shop stewards and enforces the disciplinary code.
- Co-ordinates plant maintenance shutdowns and is responsible for the execution of the shut down by liaison with the production managers, divisional engineers and assistant engineering manager to ensures all work is completed within the allocated time.
- Initiates plant investigations and trials and implements plant modifications after obtaining the relevant approvals.
- Identifies and implements product development work together with the technical department, to improve pulp quality and increase the market share by producing new products.
- Investigates customer complaints and takes corrective action.
- Chairs the safety meeting, accident investigations, root cause analysis, MDT and disciplinary inquires.
- Co-ordinates the activities of the various plants in the section and monitors plant performance, taking corrective and preventative action where required.
- Co-ordinates factory issues in the absence of the Mill Manager
- Interacts regularly with suppliers and vendors on new technology, trials, optimisation, troubleshooting and investigations.
KEY COMPETENCIES / SKILLS
- Good communication skills
- Project Management and budget cost control skills
- Knowledge and understanding of plant operations, equipment layout and maintenance
- Knowledge of plant process measurement, monitoring, evaluation and problem solving
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and legislation
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- NQF7 in Chemical Engineering or equivalent qualification in Pulp and Paper with and NQF5 Supervisory/Management programme
- 5 Years relevant experience within manufacturing environment with proven people management experience
- 3 years production management experience
Closing date: 26 March 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.