Sappi Southern Africa
Management Forester - Elandshoogte ( HRL 15U/S8 )
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To execute and achieve the operational estate management objectives and targets for fibre production within resource and SHEQ parameters to ensure sustainable fibre supply.
REPORTING TO : Forestry Manager
- Plan the re-establishment program (planting & coppice regeneration), place the plant order with Nurseries and execute to achieve temporary unplanted targets within budget constraints.
- Ensure maximum stocking within silvicutural standards is achieved.
- Inspect operations regularly to identify risks & ensure that timeous action (blanking & pest control, coppice management) is undertaken.
- Plan & conduct regular field inspections to ensure that crops, through the timing of operations (weed control, pest & disease management), achieve maximum yields within cost constraints.
- Ensure that plantations use the Fire Risk Management System (FRMS) to identify risks. Record & implement fire control procedures in order to ensure the effective protection of people, plantation and other assets from forest fires.
- Develop a tactical plan & ensure that the annual plan of operations for both commercial and open areas comply with standards and service level agreements.
- Ensure daily production targets are managed effectively in order to ensure that the target tons/per day is achieved.
- Develop a pre-harvest plan per compartment in collaboration with the Contractor and Silviculture.
- Conduct a risk assessment per compartment in order to mitigate potential risks.
- Conduct interim inspections to monitor and ensure adherence to safety and mill quality specifications.
- Ensure that the Harvesting budget is managed effectively by ensuring sales target tons/per day is achieved.
- Identify and ensure road & depot/sidings maintenance plans are communicated and implemented effectively.
- Compile in conjunction with Roads Engineer, annual tactical road maintenance plan.
- Ensure that road maintenance expenditure remains within budget parameters.
- Communicate with Logistics in order to ensure optimum delivery planning is implemented.
- Scheduling of short haul and loading operations to ensure rail/road transport is released on time.
- Ensure that company assets such as buildings, villages and company houses are maintained and managed effectively according to set standards (hygiene & legal compliance) and within budget constraints.
- Ensure that the vehicle fleet is maintained and managed according to the terms of the lease agreement, Sappi guidelines and budget.
- Ensure that relations with communities, other internal and external stakeholders are effectively maintained and managed in order to ensure company image is upheld, risks mitigated and relationships enhanced.
- Ensure that a professional relationship with contractor is maintained and that quality, delivery and compliance standards as set out in the job instruction system and service level agreement are adhered to.
- Ensure that contractor shifts are balanced to match the annual plan of operations, the contract is viable and risks mitigated accordingly.
KEY COMPETENCIES / SKILLS
- Leadership, interpersonal skills.
- Planning, organizing and innovative.
- Attention to detail.
- Risk management and Fire fighting skills.
- Ability to work independently and remotely.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- National Diploma in Forestry or Agriculture or Horticulture
- Up to five years relevant experience.
- Valid drivers license.
Closing Date: 17 July 2018
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.