Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America's in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Forest Technician/Procurement Forester
Work Site: Mill Somerset
This position offers the opportunity to work and grow in a vibrant, forward-thinking environment with a team of highly-skilled, dedicated employees. The person in this role is integral to the overall success of the Somerset Operations and, as such, is a key member of the management team.
•You will be responsible for purchasing and harvesting standing timber stumpage with the goal to supply high quality fiber and fuel to the Somerset mill.
•Candidate will manage and maintain a logging force to harvest and deliver the wood, promote and practice land stewardship ethics to ensure SFI certification, maintain record-keeping to track stumpage and support logger/landowner relations.
Aggressive negotiating skills, computer literacy in spreadsheets, word processing, network systems access skills and knowledge of wood procurement information systems, excellent interpersonal skills, general knowledge of the forest products industry.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry
- Must be able to attain or hold a Maine Forester's License
- Must have valid State Driver’s license
- Skills must include: Working knowledge of GIS mapping, timber inventory and analysis, understanding of forestry regulations and compliance, building of forest roads.
- Solid understanding of forest markets within the Northeast
- Solid understanding of forest certification as it relates to both the management of forest land and the marketing of forest products.
- Strong communication skills
- Computer literacy in spreadsheets, word processing, network systems
- Strong value for safety
- Willingness to travel throughout Maine and New Hampshire
- Prior experience in the Forestry field
- Prior experience procuring timber
- Worked on both small private and large industrial forest land
- Experience negotiating contracts with both landowners and contractors
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Karen Caffyn
Contact Information: Karen Caffyn , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.