Sappi North America, headquartered in Boston, is a subsidiary of Sappi Limited (JSE), a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with more than 13,000 employees and manufacturing operations on three continents in seven countries and customers in over 100 countries around the world. We are a leading global provider of sustainable woodfiber products and solutions. The success of our four diversified businesses – high quality Coated Printing Papers, Specialised Cellulose, Release Papers and Specialty Packaging – is driven by strong customer relationships, best-in-class people and advantaged assets, products and services. Our high quality Coated Printing Papers, including McCoy, Opus, Somerset and Flo, are the key platform for premium magazines, catalogs, books and high-end print advertising. We are a leading manufacturer of Specialised Cellulose used in a wide range of products, including textile fibers and household goods, and one of the world's leading suppliers of Release Papers with our Ultracast and Classics lines for the automotive, fashion and engineered films industries. Our Specialty Packaging products, such as LusterPrint and LusterCote, represent an important asset in the food packaging and labelling industries. Customers rely on Sappi for high technical, operational and market expertise; products and services delivered with consistently high quality and reliability; and, state-of-the-art and cost-competitive assets and innovative spirit.
Position (job title): Senior Financial Analyst
Work Site: HO Boston
Sappi North America is looking for the next key member of its financial accounting team. This Sr. Financial Analyst position will report to the Company’s Assistant Controller and will be responsible for assisting with the Company’s financial accounting and reporting activities including period-end financial cycle closings, performing special projects to improve process efficiency and performance in financial accounting, and participation in the annual budget and periodic forecast processes. Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated, results and deadline-oriented individual. This person should have proven interpersonal skills that allow the individual to interact at all levels of the organization. The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of accounting/finance principles and internal controls.
- Assist with the monthly accounting closing process of general ledger and subsidiary financial systems and the regional financial statement consolidation and reporting process;
- Assist with the coordination, preparation, and presentation of the Company’s monthly financial results of operations, cash flows, and balance sheet and related schedules;
- Assist with the financial reporting submission of regional consolidated financial results to Corporate while demonstrating an understanding of the interdependencies and relationships between balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statements and subsequent reporting schedules;
- Cross-train and periodically perform the SAP/HFM reporting extraction/upload monthly activities and reconciliations of data;
- Responsible for the monthly accounting activities and reporting on intercompany transactions including month-end account reconciliations, application of confirmation procedures, forecasting and budgeting of related accounts, which includes developing estimates based on sales, cost, and other data;
- Responsible for the monthly compilation of control reporting relating to journal entries, account reconciliations, and financial statements;
- Responsible for the monthly consolidated fixed assets roll forward and the quarterly/annual forecasting of consolidated fixed assets for the company. Coordinate the annual useful life assessment of the company’s fixed assets;
- Prepare/assist with the preparation of the company’s audited financial statements using International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS);
- Responsible for training and day to day oversight of intern on a six month rotation who is performing staff accountant tasks
- Assist with internal and external auditor requirements;
- Develop and implement control policies and procedures consistent with the Company’s internal control framework;
- Participate in the consolidation and system reconciliation efforts of the Company’s annual budget and periodic forecasting processes;
- Assist with financial, operational, and system process re-engineering of accounting and reporting activities as the Company refines business processes and practice;
- Cross-train in other corporate accounting activities and responsibilities;
- Responsible for the review of US Federal and State government surveys;
- Assist with other projects as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance, with strong accounting skills;
- Minimum 5 years prior experience in a financial/accounting role;
- Solid systems and computer skills including Microsoft Excel;
- SAP, Hyperion Planning, Hyperion Financial Management, and Microsoft Access experience preferred but not required;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to take initiative to get tasks completed, set priorities, meet deadlines, and adapt to frequent change;
- Ability to interact with all levels of Company’s senior management and functional team leaders;
- Strong analytical skills; strong attention to detail; strong organizational skills;
- Experience preparing IFRS financial statements a plus;
- Audit experience a plus;
- CPA preferred but not required.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Mellissa Johnson
Contact Information: 617-423-5402 , email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.