Sappi's Westbrook Mill near Portland, Maine is where the history of Sappi Fine Paper North America began in 1854 with the S. D. Warren Company and where the tradition of papermaking has an unshakable hold. It is the site of the first coated papermaking facility in the United States of America and the place where Sappi Fine Paper North America first developed its reputation for quality and innovation. The Westbrook Mill manufactures specialty coated papers used in a myriad of diverse applications, including the fashion, automotive, aerospace and flooring industries. Our faux-leather and natural textures can be seen in any shopping center around the world.
Position (job title): Process Engineer I
Work Site: Mill Westbrook
Specialties Technical Group
Director, Technical Service and Process Improvement
Bachelor’s degree in engineering with 2-5 years’ experience
A Process Engineer in the Specialties Technical Group contributes to success of the Release Paper Business through support and continuous improvement of manufacturing processes, product quality, operational safety and efficiency, training programs, and the integrated management system for ISO and OHSAS certifications. The successful individual is sincerely interested in manufacturing operations, relishes leading others, is a continuous learner, and is passionate about improvement.
Essential Job Functions:
- Improves existing manufacturing processes to achieve objectives and specifications by:
- Improving process capability
- Supporting centerlining program
- Evaluating proposed process and material changes, recommending modifications, and leading management of change.
- Leads trial/development work for new products and improvement of current products
- Creates, modifies, and maintains product and process testing and monitoring procedures
- Establishes and maintains procedures within our Integrated Management System
- Is an active participant in the Continuous Improvement program and contributes to the team effort as needed. Assists department efforts to operate at optimal fixed and variable costs while maintaining quality and environmental standards and department safety objectives. Leads continuous improvement projects as assigned.
- Develops capabilities of others within the department by conducting training sessions, documenting and sharing known best practices, and promoting centerlining.
- Supports the department’s IMS efforts and improves the mill’s management system through internal auditing.
- Works with internal and external customers to reduce waste and improve product quality.
- Utilizes SPC and LSS tools/methodologies to analyze process data to determine process capability and areas of improvement opportunity.
Special Skills Required:
- Organizational, team, and training skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively lead diverse groups including union workers, first-line supervisors, peers, and managers
- Stock prep, papermaking, and/or coating operations
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel, Access, Word, Outlook
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control
- Knowledge of MiniTab or other statistical analysis application a plus
- Knowledge of process control system(s) a plus
- Knowledge of ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2004, and/or OHSAS 18001:2007 standards a plus
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Lisa Patterson
Contact Information: 207-856-4615 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.