Located on 2,500 acres of land in central Maine, our Somerset Mill is an integrated pulping and papermaking operation where we manufacture coated freesheet papers, grease-proof packaging papers and bleached chemical pulp. The three paper machines use Sappi North America's in-house developed online finishing technology, which set a quality bar for publication grades and reaps productivity benefits from fully integrating paper forming, coating and finishing.
Position (job title): Engineering Manager
Work Site: Mill Somerset
Somerset is currently looking for an Engineering Manager with a focus on safety, service to customers, efficiency, productivity, quality and teamwork. Direct and indirect reports include approximately 16 salaried employees.
- BS in Engineering degree and ten or more years of experience in the pulp and coated paper environment.
- Five years related work experience managing capital projects.
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills.
- Strong management, planning and coordination skills and experience.
- The successful candidate will have the responsibility of leading the overall day-to-day management and long-term planning of the Somerset Engineering Department, including performance management and capability development.
- As a key member of the Somerset organization, the incumbent will work closely with members of site leadership to plan, develop and implement capital spending budgets and processes, including equipment improvement projects to support the Business Team’s operating and financial goals.
- This individual will lead the site in continuously improving its ability to employ sound engineering practices and procedures in the maintenance and upgrade of assets to include facilitating development of equipment systems which help Somerset meet current and anticipated customer needs.
- Leads the development of a culture whereby equipment, systems and modifications ensure a safe working environment consistent with all State, Federal, and Corporate requirements and which promotes continuous improvement.
- Manages the coordination of projects from outside contractors, consultants and vendors and provides interface between maintenance, engineering and operations.
- Responsible for tracking and controlling capital project costs, accruals, and forecasting while maintaining necessary reporting structure to mill and corporate managers
- Communicates and works with counterparts to assess and address needed changes. Works with other departments to maintain consistency across the site and to effectively utilize resources by working together as a team.
- Works collaboratively with other sites to help improve common engineering systems and practices
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Karen Caffyn
Contact Information: Karen Caffyn , Karen.Caffyn@sappi.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.