Sappi North America, headquartered in Boston, is a subsidiary of Sappi Limited (JSE), a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with more than 13,000 employees and manufacturing operations on three continents in seven countries and customers in over 100 countries around the world. We are a leading global provider of sustainable woodfiber products and solutions. The success of our four diversified businesses – high quality Coated Printing Papers, Specialised Cellulose, Release Papers and Specialty Packaging – is driven by strong customer relationships, best-in-class people and advantaged assets, products and services. Our high quality Coated Printing Papers, including McCoy, Opus, Somerset and Flo, are the key platform for premium magazines, catalogs, books and high-end print advertising. We are a leading manufacturer of Specialised Cellulose used in a wide range of products, including textile fibers and household goods, and one of the world's leading suppliers of Release Papers with our Ultracast and Classics lines for the automotive, fashion and engineered films industries. Our Specialty Packaging products, such as LusterPrint and LusterCote, represent an important asset in the food packaging and labelling industries. Customers rely on Sappi for high technical, operational and market expertise; products and services delivered with consistently high quality and reliability; and, state-of-the-art and cost-competitive assets and innovative spirit.
Position (job title): Human Resources Manager
Department: Human Resources
Work Site: Mill Cloquet
- Works with Mill Director and Mill Leadership Team to develop a “strategic partnership”:
- Serves as a “value added” resource to members of the management team in order to provide technical and general guidance on human resources programs, policies and strategic initiatives.
- Provides counsel to management regarding opportunities to enhance efficiencies of the business by streamlining work processes and enhancing customer service while maintaining best practice human resources and management relations.
- Creates and maintains strong working relationships with key positions, in particular the Mill Managing Director. Is able to integrate work system goals of company and Mill Managing Director into one’s own consistent message of vision.
- Develops and maintains a sense of accountability and integrity throughout the organization to build a unified workforce.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive manpower planning/succession system to support the growth and expansion of the business.
- Fosters and creates an environment of open communication and caring for employees both professionally and personally.
- Guides the management team through effective motivational methods that develop enlightened strategic managers in a results oriented culture.
- Maintains and gains knowledge through active participation and leadership roles in professional associations, seminars and conferences regarding state of the art human resources including best practices.
- Works with cross functions of management and labor in both developing and implementing processes and systems which will support the Labor Strategy and foster a continuously improving Labor Management Relationship while staying true to corporate needs in both the short and longer term.
- Manages labor relations issues arising from the company’s commitments with its employees (benefits, retirements, recognition, promotions, hiring, probationary periods, contract interpretation, etc.). Unwilling to accept the barriers of others which affect such commitments.
- Ensures that systems exist and function well to facilitate the swift and contract-compliant resolution of employee complaints (grievances). Such systems are traceable, accurate, timely, and lead to appropriate resolution.
- Provides employee relations services which address and successfully resolve employee concerns.
- Provides employee counseling services and monitors general levels of employee morale and job satisfaction.
- Directs reviews, modifies and maintains the company’s corrective action processes.
Employment, Compensation, Benefits:
- Works with Corporate Compensation and Employment Manager to manage and direct the activities and staff involved in developing, implementing and maintaining the company’s employment program.
- Conducts interviews, and evaluates potential employees for ‘fit” into the mill culture.
- Works with Corporate Compensation and Employment Manager to manage and direct the local activities and staff involved in recommending, developing and administering the company’s compensation program.
- Enforces regulations and compliance including DOL standards, ADA standards etc.
- Works with Corporate Benefits leader to oversee the administration of all benefit plans and programs at the represented sites. Serves as liaison for high level benefit questions/concerns.
- Manages site workers compensation cases in coordination with third party administrator, medical staff and outside counsel.
- Manages and directs the activities and staff involved in the administration and presentation of programs to train and develop employee’s at all organizational levels.
- Has management accountability for HR staff covering the Cloquet Mill.
- Has HR budget responsibility for the Cloquet Mill.
- Provides leadership in maintaining and supporting processes to ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley, ISO, DOL and any other audit requirements.
- Provides the necessary leadership to the Site’s HR team so they also continuously improve their systems to maximize benefit to the company (e.g., improvements in hourly hiring to better fit long term objectives, etc)
Education, Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred. Minimum 10-12 years experience in all HR disciplines in a manufacturing environment, preferably the paper industry.
- Viewed as both a skilled change agent and a resource for change agents seeking to bring change to the workplace.
- Capable of being perceived as a neutral party when resolving issues between management and labor, or other personnel matters. Viewed as a key resource in this regard by both teams.
- Is an effective and frequent communicator
- Proven employee relations skills required.
- Naturally driven to conduct the HR affairs in an organized, traceable manner, which is necessary to maintain a consistent and proper face to the employees.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Mellissa Johnson
Contact Information: 617-423-5402 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.