Sappi's Westbrook Mill near Portland, Maine is where the history of Sappi Fine Paper North America began in 1854 with the S. D. Warren Company and where the tradition of papermaking has an unshakable hold. It is the site of the first coated papermaking facility in the United States of America and the place where Sappi Fine Paper North America first developed its reputation for quality and innovation. The Westbrook Mill manufactures specialty coated papers used in a myriad of diverse applications, including the fashion, automotive, aerospace and flooring industries. Our faux-leather and natural textures can be seen in any shopping center around the world.
Position (job title): Technical Support Specialist
Work Site: Mill Westbrook
Major Job Responsibilities:
The connection with the customer on a technical level is paramount to the success of the Release business unit. This requires direct interface with the customer by a seasoned technical expert who can provide support with the practical problems and offer guidance to Sappi’s customer. This position will monitor, study and report on technical developments associated with casting and panel chemistries, casting and panel process conditions and general technical market trends. It is also imperative that this employee, by pro-actively visiting / advising / consulting customers, suppliers and end-users, gathers, translates and disseminates the relevant technical details in order to give valuable input to the R&D team. Candidate must be curious, influential, communicative, facilitative, and able to provide guidance to others. Works in a team environment including matters requiring coordinated activity across organizational lines.
- Five+ years of release paper / casting industry experience.
- College degree with a chemical engineering / science focus.
Specific Job Tasks:
- Provide technical service and assistance to Sappi’s global customer base, promote the use of release papers and resolve any related problems. Is recognised by peer group as a synthetic leather / casting / release paper subject matter expert.
- Participate in new product development initiatives with both the R&D and operations groups. Employee will conduct release paper field trials on behalf of the Westbrook R&D team and provide detailed reports on the results of said trials.
- Technical work will involve training customers to efficiently use Sappi’s release papers with respect to casting and panel formulation, casting and panel manufacturing process conditions, and equipment configurations.
- This position will work directly with the customer base to investigate, trouble shoot and collect claim submission information associated with suspected product quality defects. Candidate will initiate internal quality investigations and adjudicate / communicate product quality decisions for incoming quality complaints.
- Act as internal customer advocate, fostering bidirectional exchange of technical information; connects R&D, marketing, and sales groups with the Sappi’s customer base
- Arranges competitive product analysis and comments on the achieved data.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
HR Contact for Questions: Lisa Patterson
Contact Information: 207-856-4615 , Lisa.Patterson@sappi.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.