Sappi Southern Africa
Saiccor Mill, Umkomaas
Cost Accountant ( HRL 15U )
Sappi Saiccor Mill requires a Cost Accountant to review mill reporting related to fibre, chemicals, utilities and packaging materials. Provide in-depth reporting on variances, review General Ledger reconciliations and preparation of specific schedules included in the weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting packs
This role reports in to the Management Accountant
The main responsibilities of this job are:
Data Analysis and Financial Reconciliations
- To review the variances between target and actual costs and integrate highlighted variances from the Mill Manager Technical, Process Engineers and other related parties to adjust the rolling forecast for Head Office
- To review the monthly preparation of the General Ledger, Customer and Vendor reconciliations as well as the confirmation of foreign inter-company balances performed by subordinates
Fibre and Coal Valuations
- To assess the value of fibre stocks using volumetric tons by applying a conversion factor to eliminate airspace which determines wet white tons of wattle and gum species at the log yard. Review the theoretical fibre value and compare this to the initial calculation and a value received from our forestry division. Analyse and report on the differences of the valuations to enable the required adjustments related to stacking, moisture, conversion factor, weighbridge anomalies, etc. to be made.
- To review the 7-week trend for timber valuation, incorporating moisture factors supplied by our forestry division, near-infrared reflectance NIR and moisture factors supplied by the mill laboratory, fibre to effluent and broke pulp
- To perform analysis of weekly fixed costs per Saiccor business unit (Mill Preparation, Mill Finishing, SHEQ, Environmental and Engineering) and incorporate the analysis into the General Manager’s weekly report
- To promote and provide administrative support to production staff in respect of cost control, raw material variance analysis and inventory control by training them to request reports for analysis, participate in budget preparation, providing insight to costs incurred in the organisation and promoting an awareness of cost management.
- To process journal entries into SAP
- To review sundry invoices to ensure accuracy
- To review the upload of raw material interface from the weighbridge system into SAP and issuing of certain raw materials not on Bill of Materials (BOMs) to cost centres
- To manage the capture, verification and co-ordination of weekly and quarterly forecasts and annual budget.
- To review the tax pack schedules for the Tax department which is submitted to the SAPPI Group for consolidation to determine the tax liability
- To compile and prepare various costing schedules for the monthly financial report. After review and approval, the report is distributed to Mill Management and Head Office.
- To review the Bill of Material and product costing on General Manager’s weekly consumption report highlight any price and usage variances
- To investigate and propose changes of the accounting system to the General Manager Finance. If approved the efficiencies are communicated to the various stakeholders for adoption.
- To manage Raw Materials and Finished goods stock counts and participates in counting stock, consolidating the count and preparation of a stock reconciliation for management review.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Relevant Degree in Accounting (B Comm/CIMA)
- 2 years’ experience within a Costing or Accounting environment is essential
- MS Office Suite is essential
- SAP experience is preferable
Closing Date: 21 August 2019
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issue while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Should you not have been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.