EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Vacancy in the Directorate of Internal Services.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. Applications from women are encouraged.
Finance and Resource Controller
This post is for a limited duration of 3 years and is classified in the A2-A4 grade band of the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESA Headquarters, Paris, France
Located at ESA HQ (Paris), the postholder will report to the Head of the Controlling Unit, Management Support & Control Office, Directorate of Internal Services. The incumbent will be assigned initially to designated corporate activities and has direct interface with ESA Corporate Control, Finance and Procurement, and with external suppliers for all matters in their field of activity.
The postholder is responsible for supporting the business unit manager(s) on all activities related to the implementation of financial planning, monitoring and reporting processes for the activity under their responsibility. This includes responsibilities for the preparation, procurement and monitoring of various and numerous procurements, from tendering to closure of contracts, and for management, financial and planning aspects. The incumbent has multiple interfaces inside and outside ESA including participation in tenders with external suppliers and is instrumental in supporting the Cost Centre Manager(s) in conducting business.
The postholder supports the Business Unit Controllers (BUCs) of the Agency’s Administration Area and DG Services.
The incumbent ensures compliance with applicable Regulations and Instructions (Financial, Procurement, etc.).
Typical duties and activities include:
- consolidating and maintaining short/medium/long-term planning/revision for assigned activities as well as the related schedules, workforce (staff, contractors, support) and procurement plans;
- preparing annual cost plans, keeping them within commitment ceilings, monitoring execution and reporting on deviations from planning;
- preparing and maintaining internal and external reporting, including in-year, for the assigned project/activity;
- processing and following up contracts, purchase orders and related Contract Change Noticies in ESA’s financial system (esa-p) dealing with all steps of the procurement process (shopping carts, requests for quotation, etc.);
- planning and monitoring of service level agreements (SLAs) related to information technology, facility management, procurement, legal, industrial audit and policy;
- providing inputs and monthly reports to the BUC(s) and the head of the assigned Business Unit(s);
- providing inputs to BUC(s) for any process with respect to interim closure, end-of-year exercise and external workforce procurement;
- supporting Time Sheet Accouting System operations, also acting as local timesheet coordinator;
- supporting the fixed assets process, acting in particular as coordinator at corporate level.
The postholder may be entrusted with additional tasks as required, which include:
- preparing material and participating in related scrutiny actions;
- supporting implementation of the corporate controlling work plan, methods and standards for planning and reporting;
- supporting consolidation of the General & Administrative Activities budget and the corporate Basic Activities budget.
Understanding of the relevant ESA/EU procurement regulations
Cost and financial regulatory framework, including accounting standards and auditing
Budgeting, cost control and resources and activities planning
Expert knowledge of a SAP based ERP systems and related queries
Systems & Broader Business Thinking
Planning & Organisation
Applicants should have a Master's degree or equivalent qualification in business administration.
Applicants shall have previous professional controller experience preferably at agency or industry level. Experience in another function in finance, controlling or auditing will be considered a (key) asset.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 26 February 2019.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States. (http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In view of the limited duration of this post, internal candidates are strongly advised to contact their HR advisor before applying.
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.