Department Olympic Games
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
Contract Type: CDI
Activity Level: 100%
Entry Date: as soon as possible
Under the supervision of the Olympic Games Associate Director, the Head of Games Operational Readiness will oversee the last phase of preparation for the Olympic Games with Organising Committees, the IOC departments and functions as well as external partners when relevant.
- Be responsible for management of the Games Management Office during the operational phase of Games delivery in close partnership with organising committees, IOC departments and functions as well as external partners when relevant.
- In the operational phase of Games delivery, serve as key contact for the OCOG Main Operations Centre and IOC Functional areas for all issue tracking/escalation aspects, as well as all operational readiness programmes, including test events and C3; as such.
- Following the completion of the previous edition of the Olympic (Winter) Games, take responsibility for interaction with OCOG and respective IOC functions to ensure successful preparation, delivery and follow-up of remaining Coordination Commissions and Project reviews, Cluster Visits, IOC Executive Boards and Sessions for the upcoming edition of the Games.
- Ensure that adequate readiness activities are developed and implemented to prepare the IOC delegation, the relevant OCOG personnel and, where relevant, key stakeholders for Games delivery.
- Ensures implementation of the Games Delivery Plan, including relevant tools and processes, Bid Commitment Register, Legal Register and Games Master Schedule in close collaboration with OCOG and respective IOC functions.
- Contribute, when required, to developments which relate to Game evolution and Games Optimisation.
- Support, and when necessary replace, the Olympic Games Associate Director for the preparation and delivery of weekly IOC Games Operations Meetings and other meetings, as required.
- In close collaboration with IOC functions, contribute to timely update of reference documents, including but not limited to, Olympic Games Generic Master Schedule, Games Operational Requirements.
- In close collaboration with the IOC functions, ensures consistency and integration of experts reports into the Games delivery plan.
- Support the Olympic Games Executive Director and Associate Director and deal with various projects/files as directed by the Executive Director and Associate Director; makes proposals mid- and long-term projects/strategies.
- Collaborate closely with other Departments of the IOC and sections of the Olympic Games Department to facilitate integration between the various Games-related projects/initiatives.
- Establish yearly plan and budget for section, monitor implementation and provide regular updates to Olympic Games Associate Director.
Profile and skills
- At least 7-10 years’ professional experience in the planning and delivery of large scale events; previous professional experience within an OCOG a strong asset.
- Proven ability to lead operational teams and support implementation of efficient decision-making environments.
- Excellent understanding of operational readiness programmes in the context of an event, including crisis management procedures.
- Very good relational skills, charisma and leadership.
- Excellent English oral and written skills and ability to draft in this language.
- French oral and written skills important. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
- Knowledge of varied and multicultural environments.
- Ability to propose and put in place organisational methods and diagrams.
- Excellent knowledge of project management tools (putting in place a working structure, defining objectives, timetabling, coordinating teamwork, communication, etc.).
- Complete familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project.
- Coordination, organisation and planning skills.
- Flexibility in working hours and ability to travel regularly.
- Rigorous professional ethics; sense of initiative; ability to work in a dynamic environment, respecting deadlines.
- Keen sense of priorities for efficient management of projects and deliverables; ability to multitask; thoroughness in file follow-up.
- Ability to organise his/her own schedule and use internal and external resources to meet expectations.
- Discernment when taking decisions.
- Sense of confidentiality and ability to communicate information in an appropriate way.
- Attention to detail and ability to solve problems in a creative way.
- Good knowledge of project management tools and project planning methodology.
- Ability to participate actively in achieving common objectives through his/her commitment and ability to respect the contribution of all the members of a team.
- Attention to detail.
- Initiative, anticipation and source of ideas.
- Ability to handle tight deadlines and stressful situations.
- Ability to delegate and manage the staff in the team equitably and with respect.