Department: IOC Television and Marketing Services SA
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
Contract Type: CDI
Activity Level: 100%
Entry Date: 01.04.2017
The Senior Commercial Counsel will provide legal and business affairs support to IOC Television & Marketing Services SA media and marketing activities, with a focus on supporting the development and implementation of the IOC’s e-commerce strategy and supporting the arrangements for delivery of technological solutions to the IOC and the Olympic Games by commercial partners.
This role will report to the Head of Media Legal & Business Affairs with supplementary reporting to the Head of Marketing Legal and Business Affairs of IOC Television & Marketing Services S.A. (ITMS). It will also work closely with other lawyers within the ITMS Legal & Business Affairs group as well as the legal department servicing Olympic Channel Services S.L. and IOC Legal Affairs, as necessary.
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements to support the revenue generation commercial and marketing legal activities of ITMS.
- The role will have a particular focus on the implementation of arrangements relating to the implementation of the IOC’s e-commerce strategy and Games technology solutions by commercial partners, including:
- a lead role within the project team established to scope, develop and implement the e-commerce strategy; and
- working closely with the IOC’s commercial and technology leadership to develop arrangements with commercial partners to support Games management and strategic IOC projects, in particular through the deployment of cloud computing technology.
- Provide legal support in relation to arrangements which are ancillary to Olympic Games media rights activities including sub-licensing processes, rights activation and other broadcast partner servicing activities, compliance monitoring programmes, creation of Olympic-themed programming by broadcast partners and licensing of Olympic archive footage.
- Draft and negotiate commercial distribution and partnership agreements with broadcast partners, social media platforms and device manufacturers in relation to the Olympic Channel.
- Review and approve commercial agreements to support the domestic marketing programme for the organising committees of Olympic Games and Youth Olympic Games.
- Develop legal documentation (e.g. template agreements, guidelines, presentations etc.) supporting the commercial activities of Olympic stakeholders.
- Provide commercial legal advice on issues raised by other IOC departments.
- Liaise with the IOC Legal Affairs department in order to ensure compliance with IOC policies.
- Assist with the management of broadcast regulatory issues which impact the media rights activities of ITMS.
- Other duties as assigned.
Profile and skills
- Qualified lawyer admitted to practice law in his/her jurisdiction (combination of civil and common law experience is a plus). University law degree or equivalent.
- At least 7 years of experience as a commercial lawyer in a business law firm or a multi-national corporation with significant experience in commercial media and marketing contracts.
- Demonstrable experience in e-commerce and/or cloud computing services (or other comparable complex technology arrangements) and media rights (in particular, the exploitation of such rights via digital platforms).
- Excellent drafting skills in English.
- Project management experience.
- Knowledge of non-patent international IP law.
- At ease with usual office equipment (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and internet. Excellent command of corporate tools and compliance with the internal usage rules (LiveLink, Outlook, etc.).
- Ability to travel upon request.