Career Opportunities: Specialist | Retail Finance | Tax (3392)
Req ID 3392 - Posted 29/03/2019 - South Africa - Finance - Cape Town
Allan Gray’s Tax Governance is decentralised in nature, where business areas own their operational tax processes and manage the risks associated with those processes. Proactive support is provided by a group Tax team through consulting, engagement and operational support. Tax monitoring has recently been introduced as an extension to the Tax team current responsibilities and has led to the creation of a new role within the team to cover this gap.
- Perform high level checks of tax tasks and related processes to ensure
- completeness and
- that execution is in compliance with the applicable provisions of the relevant Tax Act/regulations in particular income tax, corporate tax and VAT.
- High level review of the control environment to ensure that sufficient controls are in place to detect discrepancies and deviations from agreed processes.
- Take proactive action to mitigate risks identified
- Minimum 5 years in a related role
- Tax technical knowledge of South African law and published guidance to ensure correct compliance outcomes. Preference will be given to candidates with tax technical knowledge in African markets.
- Knowledge of legislative requirements and tax laws specific to unit trust/LISP, long-term insurance and retirement fund business;
- Detailed practical knowledge of operational tax processes to ensure tax compliance
- Post graduate qualification in Tax or Masters in Taxation preferable
- Competent user of Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Excel and Word
- Willing to learn new systems as needed to fulfil tasks
- Ability to build and maintain good relationships with other teams as this will be critical to obtaining good tax outcomes
- Understanding of our tax risk appetite and willingness to operate in line with that
- Suitable training and support will be provided but the individual will also need to be able to take ownership of their work and work independently as needed
- Attention to detail including ability to test data provided to see if it makes sense, is complete, as expected etc
- Interest in getting involved in advisory work as circumstances allow
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- Team player
BCom with HDip Tax Law or Master in Tax.
30 April 2019.