The Allan Gray investment team consists of 20 to 25 people (including analysts and portfolio managers) and we hire one or two people per year.
The work environment is stimulating and diverse, we encourage our analysts to learn as much as possible about the businesses and industries we invest in. The goal is to gain an understanding of each business and the environment it operates in. This allows us to make informed decisions on the prospects and value of individual companies. With a view on the valuation we are able to invest in companies where we think the underlying value is greater than the market price. The analyst’s role is to determine the underlying value of specific businesses and present their findings to the investment team.
Our team structure is very flat with the only roles being those of analyst and portfolio manager. All our portfolio managers are internal appointments from the analyst team. We work together to achieve the best outcome for clients.
We look for exceptional candidates who can add value to our team and clients. If you think you have what it takes to succeed, we encourage you to apply.
We try to make good investment decisions by performing rigorous research. Similarly, we strive to identify the best applicants. This requires work and commitment on both our part and that of the candidate.
- To research, analyse and value listed companies in frontier markets and South Africa.
- To communicate your insights and findings to the portfolio managers through written and verbal communication.
- To support the decision-making of the portfolio managers.
We recruit for diversity of ideas and experience. We welcome applications from high achievers in all disciplines - it’s not what you studied or which industry you worked in that matters, but rather what you have achieved and your potential to contribute to our investment research.
- A history of achievement in your field
- A questioning nature
- An analytical mind
- Very strong numeracy
- A resilient personality
- Independent thought
- Individual accountability
- A thirst for knowledge and interest in the world around you
- Long term orientation
- Performance driven
Skills/competencies and experience
We prefer that candidates have at least 2 years work experience but this is not essential.
Please submit the following documents to apply for the Investment Analyst role:
- CV in your own original format.
- Academic transcripts of results for both secondary school and tertiary education. Include proof and transcripts of any other qualifications (e.g. CFA, CA (SA), GMAT score etc.) if available.
- A letter explaining why you are the person for the role.
Screening and selection process
Once we have the above information, we will assess your application. We may ask you to perform psychometric tests, answer further questions and come in for an interview.
We strive to give your application careful consideration, and to communicate our decisions within a reasonable time (ideally not more than two weeks after your last completed requirement).
Should we decide to not continue with your application at any stage in the process, we will notify you.
30 April 2019