About Swiss Re
This is your opportunity to join Swiss Re Group - one of the world's leading wholesale providers of reinsurance, insurance and other innovative forms of insurance-based risk transfer. Our business at Swiss Re is about understanding and analysing the major risks that concern the world - from natural catastrophes to climate change, from ageing populations to cybercrime. We combine experience with expertise and innovative thinking to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. And we enable the risk-taking essential to enterprise and progress. This is only possible with around 10,000 truly exceptional Swiss Re people across our group worldwide.
About the role
We are looking for a Legal Counsel to provide and coordinate legal support related to technology, including cloud computing, smart analytics, implementation and deployment of new technological solutions, licensing of software and other tools, as well as related IT outsourcing arrangements.
Key responsibilities include:
• Be a trusted partner to the business and Information Technology by providing timely, high quality legal advice and clearly articulating legal risks and opportunities, in particular related to the use of new technology;
• Drafting, review and negotiation of a wide range of Information Technology agreements and legal documents, including Cloud solutions, smart analytics, software licenses and maintenance agreements, collaboration and innovation agreements, outsourcing, managed services agreements;
• Coordinating internal approval processes across Legal & Compliance and related functions;
• Regulatory compliance, in particular related to outsourcing;
• Conducting training and raising awareness of legal and compliance risks; and
• Managing and controlling the use of outside counsel.
About the team
The Legal Counsel will report to the Legal Counsel leading the IT Digital Advisory team, and will be required to work closely with other Legal & Compliance functions providing legal services to the business and IT. The IT Digital Advisory team is a newly created team composed of the lead counsel, a Legal Counsel and this position. The position is suitable for a mid level associate. The candidate should be comfortable working in a decentralised organisational structure covering multiple jurisdictions, which will require significant organisational, collaboration and influencing skills to achieve success.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Qualified Lawyer (preferably admitted to the Bar Association as Attorney-at-law);
• Minimum 5 years PQE in a law firm or as an in-house counsel;
• Very good understanding of IT/technology;
• Previous experience in both civil and common law jurisdictions;
• Demonstrated competence and experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of Information Technology agreements;
• Proven ability to set-up and implement policies and processes to help business mitigate legal risks;
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and coordinate complex assignments and IT projects across multidisciplinary teams and multiple jurisdictions;
• Previous experience in re/insurance or financial industry is a plus.
• Contract law, eCommerce and IT, Cloud technology, Outsourcing, Data Protection, Commercial law, Competition law;
• General corporate and regulatory matters.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, able to manage the needs and expectations of clients
• Analytical, pragmatic, solution-oriented
• Self starter, ability to work independently
• Project management
• Fluent in English; German or another language a plus
• Accountable, take responsibility and ownership
• Hands on and can-do approach
• Team spirit, transparency, collaboration