At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Job Title: Maintenance Operative
Base Location: Birmingham
We have recently been awarded a contract from the Home Office Visas and Immigration department for two regions of the new Asylum Accommodation and Support Services Contract (AASC), being the North West of England and the Midlands & East of England.
AASC is the successor framework for the current COMPASS (Commercial and Operational Managers Procuring of Asylum Support Services) contracts, which were awarded in 2012.
Under AASC, Serco will be responsible for the provision of properties for initial and dispersed accommodation requirements, for transportation to and from properties, and for a range of other services to support the welfare of asylum seekers.
In the two regions for which Serco has been selected, there are currently approximately 20,000 asylum seekers living in more than 5,000 properties.
Serco will ensure all accommodation is safe and habitable and in accordance with the Decent Homes Standard.
We will use our extensive experience of working with the communities, local authorities, suppliers and other specialist organisations to achieve strong partnerships and excellent service delivery.
About the role
You will be responsible for carrying out both planned and reactive maintenance tasks assigned within their area of responsibility, to ensure that all properties in the portfolio meet the required standards under the AASC contract.
Reporting to a Field Operations Manager, the primary function of this role is to provide building maintenance services to properties within a designated geographical area and you will take responsibility for the delivery of the maintenance elements of the contract.
Work closely and collaboratively with other maintenance and housing staff to deliver a fully compliant contractual service and other field operations staff whilst supporting compliance with the key performance indicators of the contract.
- Provide building maintenance services to a designated area including; fault fixes, cosmetic repairs garden maintenance, reporting repairs and maintenance action.
- Provide specialist trade services in accordance with certified standards and experience and provide technical advice and support to the maintenance teams to ensure all standards are met under the contract.
- Ensure that there is no hazard to users of the property and check all relevant property reports before undertaking works in the properties, e.g. asbestos, potentially dangerous persons, structural reports.
- Comply with all relevant health and safety legislation and the relevant Serco safety standards when on duty
- Purchase materials from approved Serco suppliers, as per internal processes and agreements and ensure all documentation relating to materials is kept in order to reconcile transactions and tasks
- Remove all waste from properties when in attendance and ensure that it is recycled, where possible, or disposed of as per local regulations.
- Complete all allocated work as per the assigned task and by the KPI deadline.
- Regularly report to the Field Operations Manager the progress of repairs and pre-planned maintenance, particularly where tasks may take longer than scheduled.
In order to provide a fully compliant service, there may be a requirement to be on-call outside of normal working hours, as per an agreed roster and in accordance with local Serco processes.
Essential technical and professional skills, knowledge and qualifications
- Where applicable, relevant trade qualifications.
- Understanding of buildings maintenance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Valid UK Driving Licence.
- Ability to travel within the region and occasionally within the UK.
- Security clearance at Counter Terrorism Check level and Criminal Record Bureau checks are required (the role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all offers of employment are subject to security clearance checks and approval by the Home Office)
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.