At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
IT Support Engineer
HMP Doncaster, DN5 8UX
The Job Opportunity
The IT engineer support helps to monitor and maintain the computer systems and networks of our organisation. You could be installing and configuring computer systems, diagnosing hardware and software faults and solve technical and applications problems, either over the phone or in person. You will be the initial contact for technical support queries
Working within a small team you will be expected to have a good understanding of all aspects of computing and peripheral devices as well as the ability to adhere to security and back up procedures and assist with daily ICT scheduled tasks such as server room checks, system backups and anti-virus updates.
Daily Duties Include
- Initial point of contact for the reporting of all IT service requests including telephone, intranet and email to ensure ICT issues are resolved in line with SLA requirements and following ITIL best practice entering all requests into the helpdesk system
- Monitor and maintain computer systems and networks
- Talk staff or clients through a series of actions, either face-to-face or over the phone, to help set up systems or resolve issues
- Troubleshoot system and network problems, diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults
- Replace parts as required
- Provide support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports
- Follow diagrams and written instructions to repair a fault or set up a system
- Support the roll-out of new applications
- Set up new users' accounts and profiles and deal with password issues
- Work continuously on a task until completion (or referral to third parties, if appropriate)
- Prioritise and manage many open cases at one time
- Rapidly establish a good working relationship with customers and other professionals
What we are looking for in our candidates
- Able to achieve and maintain unrestricted UK SC clearance
- Minimum 12-month experience in a similar environment
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.