Marine Superintendent Scotland - Serco Maritime Services
Competitive salary plus Company car, Health and Bonus scheme
37.5 Hours p/week
Key Purpose of the Role:
To ensure that vessels meet the standards and criteria required by the Company, Customer, Class and Statutory regulations and to ensure that Suitably Qualified and Experienced Personnel (SQEP) operate Company vessels in a safe, efficient and economical manner, and in full compliance with such requirements and regulations.
To fulfil the role of Designated Person Ashore (DPA) and Company Security Officer (CSO) for ISPS vessels managed from the Maritime Services Scotland Base
- To provide professional leadership and management in continuing to ensure legislative and marine regulatory compliance of personnel and platforms while delivering operational outputs on behalf of the Customer and Company. To ensure the development and maintenance of safe and efficient operational procedures and personnel’s individual and collective professional standards. This will be achieved through a process of review, audit/inspection, mentoring and coaching to develop and consolidate SQEP skillsets and identify talent.
- The Marine Superintendent will fulfil the regulatory requirement for a DPA with direct access/recourse to the Company Board should there be serious concerns with respect to safety/compliance that require elevation. There will also be functional accountability to the Head of Maritime Safety and Compliance in contributing to the overall development, maintenance and review of the Company Information Management System, for the generation and reporting of maritime safety related data, and for compliance with wider Company and H&S Executive requirements to the extent that it affects the maritime environment.
- The Marine Superintendent will be the Company Security Officer for vessels and personnel operated by/within the Base Port Area.
- The Marine Superintendent will provide the lead in ensuring accurate and timely marine safety (Assure) incident reporting, including the conduct of investigations.
- Prime point of contact with Customer(s) in issues pertaining to marine safety, procedures and personnel competence/compliance.
- The Marine Superintendent will form an integral part of the Scotland Management Team and work alongside the Operations Managers (focussed on task delivery), the Technical Manager/Superintendents (focussed on platform availability and repair/maintenance) and the HSEQ Superintendent North. The Marine Superintendent will be the ‘professional head’ for afloat personnel and in conjunction with the Operations Managers have responsibility for the compilation of afloat personnel’s professional development plans.
- Any other roles and responsibilities deemed reasonable and commensurate with experience and skill sets, including project management.
- Master(Unlimited) Certificate of Competency
Essential technical and professional skills and knowledge
- ISM Auditor
- Comprehensive, up to date knowledge of UK Statutory Regulations/Classification Regulations and their application.
- IT literate.
- Incident investigation (desirable).
- At least 10years sea experience as a qualified deck officer, including at least 2 years’ experience as Master.
- People management in a unionised environment (desirable).
- Operational experience of both MoD and commercial environments (desirable).
- Vessel chartering – legal requirements (desirable).