Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, home affairs, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company that improves the quality and efficiency of essential services that matter to millions of people around the world.
Sitting within a beautiful and secure site, the Defence Academy hosts 2 lakes and is surrounded by acres of scenic woodland. The Academy trains the future commanders and staff officers of all three UK Armed Services and those from many countries around the world.
We are currently seeking a Systems Engineer (Lead) working as part of the IT Operations Department, this is primarily the lead role in the effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of Hardware Systems, Network systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This role will report to the Infrastructure Team Leader.
- Leading on the improvement of Infrastructure services, processes and policies.
- Leading on Systems integration (network / servers / storage / applications)
- Perform as Technical Architect for new services / solutions
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot Active Directory including the administration of computer/user accounts, security groups and Group Policy Objects.
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot servers and storage infrastructure.
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot network infrastructure.
- Leading on the improvement of Infrastructure services, processes and policies
- Leading on technical issues as directed by line management.
- Ensuring that knowledge and skills are transferred to Infrastructure team members
- Accurately maintain all relevant documentation.
- Keep abreast of current developments and techniques in the IT field.
- Responsibilities occasionally require working evenings and weekends.
Essential Skills and Experience
- An experienced Systems Engineer with a proven track record of server systems design, configuration and administration.
- Required to have Microsoft qualifications and / or relevant experience:
- Required to have Microsoft MCSE or relevant experience.
- Good knowledge of the following is highly desirable:
- Server 2012 R2, AD, GPO, Hyper-V, System Centre Suite
- DNS, DHCP, SSH, failover clustering, NPS & NAP
- Security and monitoring of IT systems
- Networking qualifications and / or relevant experience:
- Required to have at least Cisco CCNA or relevant experience. (Cisco CCNP desirable)
- An experienced network engineer with a proven track record of network systems, to include practical use of the following:
- Routing and switching, OSPF, STP and VRFs
- TCP/IP, VLANs, multicasting, unicasting, trunking / LAG
- 802.1x, NAT/PAT, PBR, ACL, VPN
- An understanding of ITIL - desirable.
- Experience of and ability to deliver projects in an IT environment.
- Ability to prioritise and execute tasks to exacting standards whilst working to tight deadlines.
- Ability to research problems and identify solutions, with a team or alone, as required.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, flexible and adaptable to change.
Information and Benefits
Serco offers 25 days holiday, up to 6% contributory stakeholder pension and life insurance. We provide a free uniform and plenty of free on site parking. There are regular buses from Swindon and Faringdon taking approx. 20 mins and dropping off directly at the Defence Academy, with discount card available.
We offer a full induction programme for all staff and everyone has access to a variety of online training courses. We also offer a range of NVQs and apprenticeships.
On site we have several subsidised cafes, providing hot and cold food and we provide free tea and coffee to all staff. We also have access to a multi faith prayer room, 2 cashpoints, disabled facilities throughout the whole site and a local nursery and pre-school facility.
In addition there are free gym facilities with access to a variety of fitness classes, football pitches, squash and tennis courts. For a small charge you can also join the Athletic Union which runs a variety of sports clubs from abseiling to netball, martial arts, sailing, football and beyond. In addition the Defence Academy also has a heated outdoor swimming pool, stables and 18 hole golf course.
All Serco employees must ensure that their current line manager is aware of their application. For confidential enquiries please contact MyHR on 0345 010 4000.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward.
Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.