Air Traffic Control Officer - Approach OJTI - Baghdad
Make a difference every day
The Job Opportunity
We are currently recruiting experienced, enthusiastic and highly motivated Approach Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCOs) to support and be a part of a great team in Baghdad, Iraq, Middle East. If successful, you would be responsible for providing assistance in the operational day-to-day provision of Air Traffic Control operations. In addition, you would be concerned with providing On the Job Training Instruction (OJTI) for Iraqi air traffic control students whilst on watch, to ensure their continued progression.
- Provision of approach control service as well as flight information service and alerting service to aircraft operating in the Baghdad FIR. The control services may be procedural or with the use of surveillance equipment.
- Monitor, record and report the service ability status of equipment essential to the provision of ATC services during the period of watch; ensuring that NOTAM action is taken as required.
- Provide OJT function whilst on watch to ensure the continued progression of Iraqi trainee ATCO’s as well as ex-pat ATCOs requiring validation, producing regular and comprehensive training reports as required by the Customer.
- Distribute meteorological information necessary for the safe and orderly handling of air traffic.
- Practice professionalism and politeness to all users of services provided by the ICAA and to other staff in Air Traffic Services.
- Interfaces and required to influence Iraqi OJT students in order to develop the highest standard of air traffic controller for integration into ICAA’s Air Traffic Services section.
What we are looking for in our candidates:
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant ICAO documentation, in particular Annex 2, Annex 11 and Doc 4444.
- Comprehensive knowledge of ATC procedures, standards maintenance and OJT training.
- A mature, proactive and responsible approach to work with initiative and problem solving capability.
- Ability to liaise in a professional and persuasive manner with staff at all levels in the organisation
- Able to work independently under stringent deadlines within a high pressure environment.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and in speaking and convey complex information in an easily understood format.
- A current ATCO licence with a minimum of 5 years civil experience in the ratings required.
- A valid ATCO medical.
- English Language ICAO level 4 or higher.
- A current OJTI rating with a minimum of 5 years civil experience as an OJTI.
- Experience in the evaluation of student performance and subsequent delivery of relevant reports.
- Experience as an LCE would be an advantage.
- An Examiner’s rating would be an advantage.
- Experience in a multi-cultural environment an asset.
Note: Air Traffic Controllers working in Baghdad are required to live in a purpose built camp and due to security restrictions are not permitted to leave the Baghdad International Airport secure zone. Individuals should therefore possess the temperament to live and work within a closed community.
Working with Serco
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has important role to play.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Take pride in what you do
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative. Please visit www.serco.com/careers for more information.