Career Opportunities: Principal Research Associate (108243)
Requisition ID 108243 - Posted 05/30/2018 - Country (1) - State/City (1) - Posting Job Category (2) - Senior professionals (> 5 years) - Full Time
Discover a world of opportunities. #HumanChemistry
See what chemistry can do for your career: careers.evonik.com
Exploring opportunities. Growing together.
VACANCY REFERENCE NUMBER 108243
Principal Research Associate
Location: United States : Allentown, PA
Function: Innovation Management (R&D); Production & Technology
Career Level: Senior professionals (> 5 years)
Legal Entity: Evonik Corporation
Business Line: BL not assigned
What we offer
You will work on exciting and challenging topics together with a team in an ultra-modern, innovative and creative environment. Intensive on-the-job training with expert colleagues guarantees you will quickly become familiar with your duties and perform them independently. Performance related pay and the opportunity for personal and professional development are of course part of the package. Since 2009 Evonik Industries AG has been certified as a family-friendly company by the German Hertie Foundation.
MEET THE TEAM - Learn more about Evonik from our employees
The position exists to support the development and commercialization of new technology to drive productivity improvements and growth for the supported business lines. The incumbent will provide technical leadership in process development program definition, planning, execution and evaluation for complex, multi-year projects. The incumbent will be required to lead effectively on cross-functional project teams in a recognized technical expert role. The position may also include leadership of a workteam of up to 6 direct reports.
- Lead the lab development of new products including the exploration of process variables to establish sensitivities and safe operating limits. Design of experimental programs, analysis and interpretation of data and hands-on guidance of laboratory technicians. Scaling up and leading the introduction of new products into multiple operating plants including development of a technical package and on-site support of manufacturing trials. This role interfaces directly with Product R&D to develop a strong understanding of the chemistry fundamentals.
- Development and leadership of projects to drive step change productivity through application of novel process technology and process chemistry including creation of white papers, technology road maps and engineering economics in areas new to the business. Initiates new ideas and proposals through data analysis and interaction with the Business Line and Manufacturing representatives
- Applies existing know-how to troubleshoot and identify root causes. Recognized across multiple sites as an expert in a particular tool, process chemistry or technology
- Acting as Technology Liaison on major capital projects providing key chemistry requirements.
- Competitive analysis and tracking of external technology developments to feed the Business Line process technology strategy and execution
- Key interface with at least one Business Line and/or technology organization to review, select and manage projects including resource, schedule and budget requirements.
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or similar field
- Minimum of 10 years of experience including working in a chemical plant or pilot plant operation, working in a chemical laboratory environment and project leadership experience required
- Experience with new product scale-up and commercialization
- Strong knowledge of organic chemistry. Background in hydrogenation, amination and polymer chemistry is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to effectively lead multi-disciplinary project teams
- Internally recognized technical expertise in a particular chemistry, process or skill
- A track record of championing new ideas and technology including IP development and competitive analysis
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
To ensure the fastest process of your application and to protect the environment, please apply online via our careers portal at https://careers.evonik.com.
VACANCY REFERENCE NUMBER 108243
Please note that Evonik will not accept any unsolicited application documents sent by staffing firms. Evonik works in conjunction with preferred service providers and will not pay any fee to staffing firms in the absence of an appropriate framework agreement. Should Evonik receive a candidate profile from a staffing firm with which it has no framework agreement, and should this candidate subsequently be considered in the recruitment process or offered employment, no claims from the staffing firm will be entertained in this regard.